Steel tanker frame question

Started by Carl Hill, September 27, 2019, 06:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Hill

I have a frame for a 71 that was stored in a barn for years. Unfortunately the roof leaked and the right front down-tube is rusted through. I thought about trying to find another one that may be damaged in some other way and use for an organ donor. Anyone ever tried something like that? I imagine steel tanker frames are getting scarce.

KJDonovan

Carl,

I have done the exact frame surgery you're describing on both a 72 125 and a 75 400.  The way I did it was to make a jig/fixture out of some scrap steel that held all the motor mount holes in a fixed position – basically so if the frame "sprung" when I cut out the down tubes I would not lose all the dimensions between all the mounts and the frame back bone.  Then just cut out the crushed down tubes and threaded in the replacements from the donor frame.  On the top ends of the down tubes I inserted a couple inches of solid round stock and on the bottom I made up couplings to go over the butts of the tubes.  Then just tig welded everything together.  In both cases, no issues everything bolted right up and the frame was straight.   I emailed you a couple photos of the process.

Thanks,

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Berkshire
74 Hare Scrambler

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler