Looking for this photo....1973 ISDT Team

Started by Paul Danik, September 29, 2019, 11:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings,

I have been asked about supplying a photo of the 1973 Penton ISDT Team, but in looking for it have come up empty so far.  It is the color photo that is the homepage photo of the Leroy Winters Memorial ISDT Reunion Ride facebook site.

Leroy Winters Memorial ISDT Reunion Ride  Facebook
//www.facebook.com/groups/425809647505835/

I will glady pay any costs in having one reproduced and mailed, or possibly scanned and sent. Looking for a high resolution copy. Jerry West took this photo and his work was always of the highest quality and taken with top quality equipment and film so I am quite sure that the original is of great quality and high resolution.

I remember like it was yesterday being asked to get ready for this photo, it was a very proud moment to say the least. We were staying at the Pittsfield Travel Lodge at the junction of routes 8 and 9 in Pittsfied, Mass.  I still have a postcard from the place in my collection of items from that event, it lists the address as 16 Cheshire Road  Pittsfied, Mass.Must have been before zipcodes...

A few years back Judy and I traveled to Mass. to pick up a Jackpiner and a pile of Penton parts and memoribilia, we also visited Jim Hollerich and his Museum while in the area. I asked Jim about the location of the Travel lodge, he said he felt it was still there, and he was correct.

The little area of trees and brush that Jerry used as a background for the Team photo is gone and in its place is a muffler shop. Joe Barker and I roomed together at the Travel lodge as we were both ISDT
rookies and worked as a team in many ways in getting prepared for the event as well as in ridng the event, surely our teamwork helped in us each earning Gold Medals. Joe Barker is one fine gentleman !

Most every nite I would join Jake Fischer and his wife for dinner at the small semi-attached resturaunt. Jake seperated his shoulder at the event and just kept on riding after the Iron man of Motocross, Rolf Tibblin,  put it back in place. Jake is local to me and I will always give him a lot of credit for his training not only of riding skills, but also of mind set when it counts. If you know Jake you surely know what I am speaking of...:D  THANK You again Jake Fischer...:)

I remember riding down a powerline section of trail at the event and just before I selected my line for going thru a rather wet area a gentleman turned towards me a gave a slight motion towards a little section of trail that skirted the swampy area. Usually I have a bit of distrust of such help but I instantly recognized the gentleman as being Rolf Tibblin and took his advice.....and good advice it surely was!

Sorry about rambling, but once the cork is off the bottle it all seems to flow......

Thanks,
Paul

Leo Keller

Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

Greetings,

.... photo of the 1973 Penton ISDT Team, but in looking for it have come up empty so far.  It is the color photo that is the homepage photo of the Leroy Winters Memorial ISDT Reunion Ride facebook site.

Leroy Winters Memorial ISDT Reunion Ride  Facebook
//www.facebook.com/groups/425809647505835/

Thanks,
Paul

Ed Youngblood? I know that he used a Jerry West-photo for the John Penton-book

Richard Colahan

Great behind-the-scenes stories Paul!

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Gary Roach

Sorry I don't have a lead on the picture you need Paul, but had to say how much I enjoyed your "rambling"...you can uncork that bottle anytime and let it flow! Great tales and memories that we want to hear.
POG Gal[:X]
Toni