Vintage 1000 2020

Started by Rick Bennett, November 25, 2019, 09:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Oshaughnessy

Rick when you start planning for the TRans. Am. trail it would be better to go west to east. Because of snow in Colorado. my Son has done it & you have to wait for the snow to melt in Colo.:)

Rick Bennett

I was able to get some things done last weekend. I blasted and painted the frame, swing arm and a bunch of the smaller parts. Typically, I had to make some engine mount repairs. The wheels I wanted to use, with mag hubs turned out to be cracked. I only have extra front aluminum ones. Larry Perkins found me some rears to make a set.

I guess this would be a good time to talk about the POG. Without all the help with parts and advice these adventures would much harder to accomplish. This Sportcycle is being built from parts. The frame with title was found in Zanesville a few years back and has been hanging from the rafters in my shop waiting it's turn to be brought back to life. I thoroughly enjoy the building process and having contact with other members. At York while talking with Dan Killian I mentioned the clutch basket wear problem from my rides last year. Last week two boxes showed up unexpectedly with some much needed spares. Dan wouldn't tell me what he wanted so I sent him a fair offer. These parts will be a big help in the coming rides. Second gears have also been in short supply so I decided to have JP Morgen cut some to make old ones useable again. I gathered up all I could find, including some from Sandy Quickel and a friend of his. These are out being done now. Dennis DeGonia came up with the riders wrench I was looking for, another good guy. And, of course, where would I be without Al Buehner? Going nowhere fast!

The speedometer that died on the "Coastal" ride last year has been rebuilt by North Hollywood Speedometer in California. Most of the other parts I have ordered have come in. The bottom end of my basket case motor is coming along. I needed a smaller hone for the 100cc cylinder before making a decision on its usability. It should be here in a couple days. I still need to get rear spokes. I will order them today. Brian should have my aluminum tank soon, just waiting for his call.

Off to work now.

Rick Bennett

45 days till blast off now. I worked on wheels yesterday. Since both my mag hubs are cracked, I am using aluminum ones. I struggled to get a spare wheel apart as the brakes were frozen into the hub. I ended up removing the brake pivot nut and brake arm allowing me to drive the axle/backing plate out, leaving the shoes and cam in the hub. This took a while. Both hubs and backing plates got blasted and painted black. The front wheel I disassembled had stainless spokes and I bought Buchanan's for the back. I also picked up the China Akront style rims. They seem very well made. I will begin assembling wheels tonight.

Rick Bennett

I just learned the Coastal Vintage 1000 has been cancelled.

With any luck, the Mountain 1000 will be ok in August.

My Berkshire is half done. I have the parts to complete it. Luckily, I work at home and have lots to do. Hope everyone is well.

Rick

Rick Bennett

With no official ride this spring my progress on this machine has slowed. Brian called to say he has my tank done and it is on its way. I finished up both wheels and installed new Kenda 270 tires. I was a bit confused when putting the rear wheel together. At first I thought Buchanan's had given me spokes an inch too long. The POG forum supplied the answer with a quick search. My wheel is cross 4, not cross 3 pattern. The next morning it went right together. As soon as I get the forks done I can make a roller. My headlight is coming from Germany, ordered last week. I think I have all the rest of the parts to finish.

Rick Bennett

Time to revive this post. Just under 70 days until the Mountain 1000 and it is back on for August 4-8. This trip is leaving from NC and travels into Virginia. 19 riders have signed up so far. I am staring at a bare painted frame and half built Sachs. Spent the last few weeks building a new 72 125 to race and made the May 17 LL Raceway cross country. I stole the wheels for the racer so will need to build new ones. Forks are done and all small parts painted. I have most of the parts, I think. Time to make a shopping list and plan a route to get to the starting point. Anyone want to join me???

Jason Rowland

Based entirely on my own personal feeling, I'm fairly certain most of us here would answer your question in similar fashion: "Absolutely nothing I'd like more!"  However, the gulf between what I want to do and what I can do is, in this case, a bit too wide to navigate.  Perhaps, like me, others here are quiet due to being a bit hangdog about it, frankly.

Instead, I'll have to make do with living vicariously through you and the recounting of your exploits as with your previous great adventure...and making do was pretty terrific, IMHO.

Make sure your companions stay at least a bikelength behind for proper social distancing.

Rick Bennett

Tomorrow morning will be exactly 21 days until departure on July 31. My Berkshire is still not done. With the wheels, ignition, skid plate, seat and other small parts stolen to build a Six Days racer, I have had to reorder more parts. I think I have everything back in stock to finish up. I painted the tank red and it looks great. Hubs are painted and I have new rims and spokes. The Sachs bottom end is ready but I just sent out a cylinder to be bored. With 2400 miles to travel I want to start with new parts. Starting to feel like time is running short. Too many customer blown up engines this spring using up my bike nights. My Son in law, Nick planned to ride a Harley SX250 but it won't be ready. He is taking my 72 SL350 instead. It only needs minor maintenance to be ready. 3/4 of the riders will be on Honda SL or CL machines. A couple DT Yamahas and a couple BMWs round out the field.

Pat Oshaughnessy

Rick Bennett

Tomorrow morning I am down to 14 days before departure. Managed to score both hubs NOS and now have wheels with Kenda 270 tires mounted. Waiting for a thinner (5 mm) front hub seal as the speedo drive was being interfered with using a 7 mm seal. Randy booked our 2nd night stop at Burnside state park and I booked a cabin 8 miles from Chattanooga for before and after the 1000. Nick may not be able to leave Friday (7/31) morning if he can't take the day off. We will have to decide what to do when he gets the word from his boss. I want to ride this machine this weekend but still waiting for the cylinder. I will call and bug them in the morning. I need to know if I can use the same 15/57 gearing and if the jetting is right. I am really counting the ounces of my camping gear. I have a lighter tent this time and will take less clothes. I shipped Golden Spectro to Adam along with some supplies for the ride home. We will have the latest GoPro cameras and a drone along. I have wanted to do a better job of letting you guys and gals see what this is all about. Time to rewax my Barbour jacket.

Rick Bennett

Oh yea...
On a good note,
Son in Law Nick, after riding two 800 lb. Harleys for the last 14 years on a learners permit, passed his motorcycle license on Tuesday.
Kids
Go figure

Rick Bennett

Motor is done and in the chassis. I struggled to get it to fit. The lower rear mount needed a bit of spreading requiring me to break a sweat lifting it in, out, in,out, and doing a number on the paint. Oh well, in a few days it won't be a hanger queen and be covered in dirt. Man, that is a small piston. With any luck I will be able to light the fire today. I still have lights to wire, horn, accessory plug and rack to build. Should be riding on Wednesday.

Rick Bennett

40271399 drank its first fuel tonight after coming back from a bare frame purchased a few years ago. The Sachs 100 is an Al B. core with rusted in place piston and no head, now completely rebuilt. Lots of you helped by selling me parts, thank you.

Don Roth

Rick,
Have several pistons in this size, let me know if you want one 'for the road', and that paint loss just ensures a better ground, have a good ride.
-don

Richard Colahan

All kidding aside...just to make sure run a seperate ground wire from an engine bolt to the frame at the coil mount. Best wishes to Team Frankenbike on this trip!
Quotequote:Originally posted by Don Roth

Rick,
Have several pistons in this size, let me know if you want one 'for the road', and that paint loss just ensures a better ground, have a good ride.
-don

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA