Front number plate question

Started by blaze7c, January 18, 2020, 10:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blaze7c

Hi guys/gals, I'm new here but not to the two wheel world. I will be restoring what I consider a Holy Grail MX bike. The '72 penton 125. I managed to find a nice very complete bike that is perfect for restoration. I'll probably be asking a bunch of questions here but rest assured I know how to use Google and the forum search function :)

So first question is: I need a front number plate. OEM was steel, aluminum? and what size were the originals? Are the correct rubber band style mounts available?

blaze7c

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

Check with Al @  https://pentonpartsusa.com/catalog/4b%208%20sachs%20forks.htm

Ron Carbaugh

Thank you.

rob w

Welcome,
In '72, the original number plates were steel. Al B. no longer has steel number plates available, although he does have the correct reproduction front bracket w/ rubber band mount..

Daniel P. McEntee

If you really wanted a steel one, all you need is a proper thickness oval blank of the correct size, and then track down someone at a sheet metal shop that has one of those rolling tools that puts the "bead" around the edge. You might need to make the blank over size, roll in the lip, and then trim to finished size. That would be one of the tools I would have in my dream shop.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

holeshothawk3

I think Roberto sells the nice aluminum number plates on ebay "parmabike" is his username. He is on here as well. I just got my alloy fenders for my 72 from him and they're top notch!

crheeterman

Ditto "parmabike" Roberto on ebay. There are several online right now including steel oval 9" x 11", and/or notched for enduro lighting (large 130 headlight) all with rolled edge. I've purchased several from him over past 10 years and very pleased. Clean well before paint.

Chris