Mint 400 center stand question

Started by erickz, February 14, 2020, 09:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erickz

Did the Mint 400 ever come with a center stand? Was it an option or offered by Peyton as an accessory?
Thanks
EZ

erickz

Darn that spell check - Penton, not Peyton!!!!
Mea Culpa

Daniel P. McEntee

I don't think that they cam as a standard item but were an accessory. Typical installation was drill an appropriate size hole through the bracket that the foot peg tubes were welded to. The stand had brackets on each side that accepted the bolts with a spacer between the stand bracket and the frame bracket. There was a place underneath on the frame for a spring to attach to and the other end of the spring attached to the stand. Check the photos section, and see if there are any photos posted. It has been covered in the forums before and a better description should be available. A good fabricator could build one easily from a sketch with dimensions and some good photos. If anyone had a diagram or drawing with this info, I would be interested in that information also.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

slvrbrdfxr

Hi EZ,
Here is a repop  centerstand by POG member Roberto (parmabike). He's a great guy and also offers a discount to POG members. You'll need to contact him directly before purchase to arrange the discount.
Dave McC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1974-1975-1976-PENTON-KTM-FRAME-CENTER-STAND-KICKSTAND-GS-175-250-360-400-/352723368898

Daniel P. McEntee

Yeah, that's the animal. I forgot to check Roberto's listings. It's probably the simplest, easiest center stand to install on a vintage bike. just drill an 8mm hole in the middle of the tube where it is welded to the frame bracket, put the bolt down the tube, through the hole, slide on the spacer, lock nut goes on, and it wouldn't hurt to put a jam nut against the lock nut. repeat on the other side. There is a place to hook the spring on all frames, but you may have to look for it to find it, it's hard to spot. These come with all the hardware, and as far as pricing I think it's a good deal. If your bike is built in GS trim, you will love having a center stand on it. Makes working on things a lot easier and lost more "ISDT-ish" !!!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

skiracer

From time to time I have built center stands for my bikes.  The biggest issue I have, is getting the spring to hold the stand in place.  I was just working on my 175XC unit, but couldn't get the proper setup. There always seems to be too much slack, and the stand hanging down too far.

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Daniel P. McEntee

Even if the spring has enough tension to hold the stand up, I always use a tire tube rubber band to secure it in place so it does not flop around on the trail, and use the same for the side stand also. I copied one for an IT Yamaha for a friend once, and from the factory they used a device that looked and worked like  a spring loaded clip you mount on the wall to hold a broom. I couldn't find one that was the correct size, so reverted back to the good old tire tube rubber band to do the job.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

skiracer

The problem with that, is now the center stand is connected to the swingarm, and will want to move up and down as the suspension works. If there is a stop on the stand, that movement could put stress on the stand.  I have a PE, and they had a heavy duty O-ring that connected to the frame behind the brake pedal.  Spring location and the amount of angle is the concern and answer to the problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by Daniel P. McEntee

Even if the spring has enough tension to hold the stand up, I always use a tire tube rubber band to secure it in place so it does not flop around on the trail, and use the same for the side stand also. I copied one for an IT Yamaha for a friend once, and from the factory they used a device that looked and worked like  a spring loaded clip you mount on the wall to hold a broom. I couldn't find one that was the correct size, so reverted back to the good old tire tube rubber band to do the job.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
[/quote

]

1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

erickz

Ordered one from Roberto - there is a discount for POG members. Have not received yet but am looking forward to it. Have always used a slice of an inner tube as the rubber band to hold in place plus the spring.

erickz

Daniel  - does the hole. Get drilled thru the bracket with the tube  that has the foot peg mounted to it? Any pictures?
Thanks

erickz

Daniel  - does the hole. Get drilled thru the bracket with the tube  that has the foot peg mounted to it? Any pictures?
Thanks