1976/1977 MC5 250 and 400 ORIGINAL COLORS

Started by Jeff Moore, February 18, 2020, 10:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Schulz

Hi Jeff,
Yes there were large (enduro) and small (motocross) tanks for the 1977 gs6. Both tanks have the wide tunnel for the wide high breather frame backbone on the 1977 gs6. The small motocross tank is much harder to find than the large enduro tank. I have both for my 1977 gs6 250 and they are orange and have the black and white stripes with world champion in the stripe and a Penton sticker in block letters above the stripe. I have seen the same with a KTM sticker instead of the Penton sticker above the black and white stripe.
Mike Schulz
Jake Fischer has some NOS Penton side panels listed on ebay now for $80 each. The ones in the picture are blue and yellow but he may have the orange and yellow ones you are looking for. Or you could buy the blue and yellow and repaint them like you want them.

Toolsurfer

Preston Petty look much better to me and more functional. I think made in USA .

Mike Rosso

I agree on the Preston Petty headlight versus the Euro originals. The PP headlight was much more durable and functional IMO because it used a more rugged glass headlight from farm and small tractor application. The only problem was the headlight (as a bulb) was too large and bulky to carry as a spare (bulb) and at the end of the ISDT/ISDE they would check the lights and if they were not working you were allowed a few minutes to fix or change the light bulb(s) or be penalized 10 points (seconds) for each non working light. Yes the PP headlight rarely ever failed and yes you could on the last day carry a spare PP light (bulb). The Euro headlight's only advantage was the size of the replacement bulb and the quicker ability to change it. Still IMO the MADE IN AMERICA Preston Petty light and number plate set the standard (remember what came on the bikes before Preston came out with it) for everyone and was the best thing going, to this day IMO.

Toolsurfer

Totally agree with you there Mike . USA

steve poggi

I'm restoring a '76 KTM MC5 400 in original white that I purchased from the original owner in SoCal. I have the original magazine test from '76. The bike is white.

steve poggi
steve poggi

Nick

Steve, was that the Modern Cycle article, July 1976 I think, "White Lightning and Wallet Lightening"?  If it was, great, if not, that article might be another great resource for restoration.

R.T.Fischer

The colors I mentioned previously were from the early years maybe thru '75. 400cc's were always white from the ones I saw. Restored a '77 MC5 250cc that is orange with orange side panels with yellow oval # plates on the side panels & yellow front plate.