Gas Tanks

Started by imported_n/a, October 11, 2002, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lenz

Would that be any eisier for the tank maker than to just have two molds? One for 73 to 75 tanks [which will also work on 72's], and one for 76-78 tanks. The 78 tank is slightly different than the 76 and 77 tanks but will again work on all 3 of those years. I have a good 73 to 75 tank if you need another to procede.

imported_n/a

Mike, the figerglass company was closed yesterday; therefore, I couldn't get ahold of the guy.  I want to ask him what specifically the moldmaking does to the existing tank, and how he can try to minimize any effects.

Yes, it would be great if we could use your tank; but, again, I'll need to find out about damage.

I'll try the guy again today and see what I can find out.

Glenn

rob w

Glenn, You don't need to lose any sleep over this. I don't think there's any question which style tank needs to be reproduced. The 1.8 gal. MC tank that was made to fit 73 thru 75 is the most in demand. Those are the year bikes that 75% of the vintage racers are using. It needs to be as close to those dimensions and style as he can make them, with the "V" in the sides and all.
 Have some patiences, you will get the correct tanks to use as patterns, I have one, and I'll bet some more will turn up if you offer some $$'s or another tank for one. Any venture like this is apt to begin with a little investment. You just need to be certain that the end result is something good enough that guys are going to want one.
 I would also be concerned that the thickness of the fiberglass around the edges is comparable with a stock tank. Now if you could only figure out how to get them gel-coated colors, then most of the design questions would be answered.
 Set a goal, time wise, that is resonable to meet, say Feburary, and relax, it will come together.
 Does this guy have a company where he already sells reproduction body parts?(like RPM) Would we be purchasing these tanks from him, or does someone else have to sub-contract these parts from him?(who's investment is this?)
 The days of desperately seeking Penton parts will soon be behind us. I will say that in another year or so, exhaust pipes, swing arms, tanks, fenders, and other needed parts, will be on the shelf waiting.

Thanks, Bob W.

Edited by - rob w on 10/18/2002  07:54:40 AM

imported_n/a

Guys, I just talked to the tank guy and here's the story.  He needs a tank to mold for the shape, but he also cuts out the petcock and gas cap fittings because he (or we?) needs to source them.  The gas cap fitting is a potential problem.  We may have to find somebody to make them.  

Mike and Bob, I think that if we have a tank that can be destroyed, that's the first step.  My tank is not going to work.  And maybe Karl (Mr. Metalkfab) might have some interest here in the gas cap fitting?????

I think we're at the point where it's going to have to be a total team effort here to get this done.  I'm not doing this to be a tank seller.  I want tanks to be made and I'm willing to help facilitate getting it done.  We need to get a tank to CA, and we need patience, as you said, Bob.  

As a little background, the tank guy's name is Roger Paul Moreau at Trailer Products, Inc., in Hemet, California.  I found his website a while ago and never thought of trying to have him make Penton tanks until finding out firsthand the shortage that seems to be there.  He has restored vintage motorcycles, and has a Monark enduro that is his "baby."  He remade the tank on that, and has worked a lot with Maico, Montesa and CZ tanks.  The deal is:  He's makes the molds, makes the tanks, owns the molds.  He asks nothing from us except to provide a tank and buy a minimum of 6.  He will sell them on his website.  We invest the cost of the tank to sacrifice, and we get tanks.  The color thing I think needs to be addressed down the road, after we get the first bunch made.  He'll have to be convinced he can sell a bunch more in colors than just white.

His price estimate is this:  2-piece mold about $200 each.  3-piece mold $250.  The Monark Tank is 3-piece.  He won't know until we send him something.  

If anybody wants to talk to him, his phone number is 1-909-654-7334, and if you want to visit his website, his URL is //www.pe.net/~rpm/order.htm

If you have any questions of me, please let me know.  All I want out of this deal is a good, correct replica tank.  

Bob, when I just looked up his URL, it is RPM!!!  Have any of you bought from him before?  What's the story?

Glenn

Edited by - glenn sonntag on 10/17/2002  6:12:59 PM

Edited by - glenn sonntag on 10/18/2002  09:23:30 AM

Edited by - glenn sonntag on 10/18/2002  11:56:28 AM

Tom Gougeon

I have an orange Penton tank that I have been told is from a 76 - 77. It's in relatively good shape, no patches, soft spots or leaks that I know of. A little fading and the decal has some rubbing. Somebody make a reasonable offer and its yours.

imported_n/a

Tom, I don't think the '76-'77 shape is the one that we're looking to make at this time.  I appreciate your offer.

Thanks.

If there's anything going on out there as to this thread, please keep us posted.  It's kind of quiet now.  Do any of you have information on RPM?

Glenn

imported_n/a

Just received the two '74 250 right side covers previously ordered.  They seem a little "rough," if you know what I mean.  If the gas tanks came through with a finish like this, we'd be pretty unhappy.  

Private e-mails of any prior experiences is invited.

Glenn

imported_n/a

I just received an e-mail from Roger at RPM.  A guy provided mx and enduro tanks that were used to make the molds and the first set of tanks are finished as we speak.  I'm going to ask if he'll send me some jpegs so we can all see what they look like.  The price is $250, plus $25 for fittings.  I'll get you more information as soon as it becomes available.

Glenn

rob w

Nice work Glenn! :)

Edited by - rob w on 11/18/2002  10:18:56 PM

imported_n/a

I received a couple of jpegs today.  In looking at them, the "Enduro" model is really the "Toaster" style of tank.  These are not in short supply, so I don't know why this was done.  Anyway, the "MX" tank is the small version that came starting in '73 and ran through '75, if I'm not mistaken, which is the style of tank I've been searching for.  If you e-mail me, I will reply and attach the pictures.  

There still is an issue with petcock thread sizes.  I don't think Roger has found a metric size yet.  Do any of you have any sources for the petcock fitting?  Please let me know, or call Roger directly.

The choice of colors (none) still needs to be addressed.  I'm going to buy a white one 'cause I have a 400 project to work on, but that doesn't help you who need colors.  I'll let you know as things progress.

FYI, the $275 is the price for Penton Owners Group members.  Others will be charged $300.

Glenn

imported_n/a

I got an e-mail from Roger today stating that he has petcocks to fit the tanks.  That makes this project complete, except as to colors.  Thanks to all for their efforts to get this done.  

Glenn