WANTED A COMPRESSION RELEASE

Started by Jeff Moore, February 27, 2020, 09:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moore

Anyone have the original Penton/KTM Compression Release?  They are supposedly long , weird and tiny compared to the type used on other bikes like Maico, BSA etc.

Jeff
310 456-8833
[email protected]

Normandy10

I looked for one for a few months to replace the broken one on my 76 400 Cross Country, got responses from as far as Australia, was only able to find a used cylinder with the rusty and incomplete remains of one still installed, not a complete assembly. If you are looking for practical reasons, to make it so you can actually kick-start the bike( at 152lbs I just don't have enough ass for the task on the 400) contact Chicago Jerry, Jerry Grakauskas, on the forum or just google. He has an old-time machining plan to re-profile the combustion chamber in the head, makes them startable by a normal person. He is in Ohio, sent my head out, had it back in less than two weeks, UPS Ground shipping. He was highly recommended as the KTM motor build go to guy. I can e-mail you pictures of what part number f it looks like sticking out of the cylinder just above the intake if you like. Good luck on the quest, you might get lucky.
Mike

Daniel P. McEntee

This is a modification originated by Dane Liembach if I believe back in the day and has been discussed at length on the forum and you should be able to find details. Someone still has the original tool that Dane made for cutting the dead to proper dimension. It more or less makes the head a hemi head and cuts the compression a tad, as I understand it. Gary Ellis has a piston mod that helps make the power more tractable also you may want to look into so you can really tame this beast!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Normandy10

Jerry Grakauskas is the guy now, just had one done. Originated from a guy Carl Cranke, from what I was told. I can send you a picture of the new head profile if you like.

Mike
Mike

rob w

Why not drill and tap the head to use the common type compression release ?

Normandy10

I looked for one for a few months to replace the broken one on my 76 400 Cross Country, got responses from as far as Australia, was only able to find a used cylinder with the rusty and incomplete remains of one still installed, not a complete assembly. If you are looking for practical reasons, to make it so you can actually kick-start the bike( at 152lbs I just don't have enough ass for the task on the 400) contact Chicago Jerry, Jerry Grakauskas, on the forum or just google. He has an old-time machining plan to re-profile the combustion chamber in the head, makes them startable by a normal person. He is in Ohio, sent my head out, had it back in less than two weeks, UPS Ground shipping. He was highly recommended as the KTM motor build go to guy. I can e-mail you pictures of what part number f it looks like sticking out of the cylinder just above the intake if you like. Good luck on the quest, you might get lucky.
Mike

Daniel P. McEntee

This is a modification originated by Dane Liembach if I believe back in the day and has been discussed at length on the forum and you should be able to find details. Someone still has the original tool that Dane made for cutting the dead to proper dimension. It more or less makes the head a hemi head and cuts the compression a tad, as I understand it. Gary Ellis has a piston mod that helps make the power more tractable also you may want to look into so you can really tame this beast!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Normandy10

Jerry Grakauskas is the guy now, just had one done. Originated from a guy Carl Cranke, from what I was told. I can send you a picture of the new head profile if you like.

Mike
Mike

rob w

Why not drill and tap the head to use the common type compression release ?