PENTON 1976-77 INFO MC5 SIDE COVER COLORS

Started by Jeff Moore, March 06, 2020, 10:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moore

For anyone that might be interested in MC5 side cover details??

During the past weeks I have been sent several 1976-77 Penton MC5 Side covers, some of them are unrestored and still with the original paint.

A couple of weeks ago I asked about what colors were available on the MC5 bikes (Gas Tanks, Side Covers etc) at the very end of the PENTON Era.  

There seemed to be several differences of opinions as to what colors were available... Related to where the bike was originally delivered- West Coast VS East Coast VS European.

Here is what seems consistent about the MC5 side covers I have...

There were ALL originally made using Bright Yellow plastic. Then if the tank on the bike was Orange, Blue, Red or White , only the top section of the side cover was painted the matching color,  while the oval number plate area always stayed the unpainted Bright Yellow plastic.

A local ORIGINAL Owner of a 1977 MC5 175cc sent me photos of his unrestored original side covers that are BLUE on the top section with an unpainted Yellow number plate, so apparently was true for the 125s, 175s etc??

I have one cover that is BRAND NEW (NOS). Bright Yellow plastic that is Originally painted Blue on top with the unpainted Yellow oval and a black pin stripe between the colors.

I have another one that is Bright Yellow plastic that  still has most of  the original Orange paint on the top area with the unpainted Yellow number plate and the black pin stripe between the colors.

Then I have one side cover that is Yellow plastic but was painted several times on top.  The first Color was Orange, then White then the whole side cover including the number plate was painted Red.

It appears that either at the factory, or at the warehouse or even at the bike shops, the side covers were painted in the different Penton colors or even possibly re-painted a different Penton color while still brand new?

Were some of them sold unpainted in just yellow plastic and the buyer would paint them?

My parts book shows the side covers had the same part number for all size engines (125cc-400cc) but has two ** so maybe there was a note in the dealer books about the colors??

WANTED!!!  Still need an ORIGINAL ORANGE PAINT MC5 Left Side Cover.

Jeff (310) 456-8833
[email protected]

R.T.Fischer

Restored a 77 MC5 250cc. Reglassed inside of both side covers due to stress cracks around mounting holes & one crack coming up from bottom edge. this one was yellow inside & oval # plate also yellow. Orange on top area to match tank with a black pinline. P.O. said he got from someone in Colorado.

Jeff Moore

Are you offering the left side cover for sale??

Jeff

R.T.Fischer

No, both are on the MC5, have no spares.

Rocket

Jeff
I have a pair of NOS side covers and the tank that goes with it. If you can wait a couple months I will be able to get to them.
RCG

Jeff Moore

OK.  Let me know when available.

Jeff
(310) 456-8833
 [email protected]

Mike Schulz

Jake Fisher has some new old stock side panels on ebay right now for $80 each. The ones pictured are blue and yellow.Search ebay under Penton side panels.
Mike Schulz