Malcolm Smith Clam Shell Tank Bag

Started by KJDonovan, March 09, 2020, 09:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

I am looking for a Malcolm Smith "clam shell" style tank mounted tool bag.  I had one of these back and in 70's and had not seen one in decades until one popped up on ebay a couple weeks back for ridiculous money.   These particular bags were made for tank mounting will a loop that fit over the fuel filler neck on one end and a couple leather straps for securing it under the seat on the other.

I am not looking buy one of these, but to borrow it for a couple weeks.  I have buddy who does leather work and I would like to have him reproduce something like this for me.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

400gs6

Kevin, I'm pretty sure I have exactly what you're looking for. Down in SC right now but can mail one down when I return.

KURT FLACHBART
KURT FLACHBART

KJDonovan

Kurt,

Thanks for the offer, but one just landed on my step.  Huge thanks to Ron Carbaugh for sending one in my direction to use as a guide for a re-pop.  Already handed it off to my buddy with the leather skills and hoping for the best.  Still would like to see yours as well – when you're back in Maine snap a picture for me.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

slvrbrdfxr

Kevin,
Did you get the pics I texted you of the bag I have ? It's a Malcolm Smith repop that I bought several years ago when one of the Vinduro guys had some made.
Dave McCullough

erickz

Are there pictures of this somewhere??

KJDonovan

Eric,

A buddy of mine is presently working on a reproduction based on a Hi-Point tank bag Ron let me borrow.  As soon as he completes it I will post some photos of the original and the re-pop side by side.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

erickz

Would be interested in one, thanks!