Clutch issues... RESOLVED!!!

Started by skiracer, March 16, 2020, 06:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

Thomas Brosius

DKWRACER

This Too...
Mark, the Fall 1999 issue of "Keeping Track" has a great article by Bobby Lucas detailing clutches in general. Maybe Al Buehner has a copy you can get.....Good Luck!

Thomas Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Steve Minor

I have it in PDF format...shoot me an email and I'll reply with a copy. Anybody else want a copy, shoot me an email and I'll reply with a copy of the article too.

steveminor88@gmail dot com

Steve Minor

t20sl

I know you said twice same springs as what came out but you also said still have a hard pulling clutch. So original springs you replaced were wrong and so are these is still possible.  Maybe someone here can measure theirs and then you can compare?

johnacapp

To all looking for the Bobby Lucas Clutch article

FYI (I think, if this is the same article talked about in earlier postings?) the article is available on line at the Penton home page click publications, then "still...keeping track" then pick Fall 1999 Issue #4 page 10 & 11

Hope this helps

John Capp
John Capp

skiracer

I had a two finger clutch until I raced a MX event, and somehow, it turned into a two arm clutch.  So, the original springs were fine up to that point.

Quotequote:Originally posted by t20sl

I know you said twice same springs as what came out but you also said still have a hard pulling clutch. So original springs you replaced were wrong and so are these is still possible.  Maybe someone here can measure theirs and then you can compare?

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

skiracer

So,I took it all apart, cleaned and oiled all the discs, re-inspected the push rods for out of round, and proper installation, re-oiled the cable, took the actuator apart again, put it all back together, and presto!  I have a two finger clutch again....  No idea what was wrong, but there it is! A different feel, but a two finger.  The pull in feels "right," but the release of the lever seems quicker.  Almost like there is more spring action on it.

I want to thank everyone for your time and effort in helping me out.  I also hope this thread serves as a nice reference for anyone in the future that develops an issue with their clutch.

1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa