Anyone care to discuss wheels, rims, spokes?

Started by pentonpal, June 26, 2020, 10:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pentonpal

OK, I live in S. Texas - one of the rust capitals of the world.  That being said, I am seeking a solution to rusty rims/rusty spokes.  I have tried the Radaelli rims and stainless steel spokes from Walridge Motors with limited success.  Although the fitment is close (for cross 2 pattern lacing), the chrome rims rust almost immediately and likewise for the the SS spokes?  I have actually had 3-year old SS spokes rust through and bust in the the garage (without ever having seen water)!  However, I do like their nickel plated brass nipples.  These are some of the the best non-corrosive I have found.

I am now a convert of aluminum rims. I have tried Buchanan's SS spokes/nipples with Excel rims (cross 2 pattern lacing). My experience is the Buchanan spokes are too wide (8g - 4mm t) and the spoke head is too large making for an awkward spoke/hub assembly.  The product quality seems good and I don't expect the Excel rims to be troublesome.

So, the Pentons I have are laced either cross 2 or cross 3 pattern. I have purchased the Chinese Akront aluminum rims available on Ebay, coupled with SS spokes from Walridge Motors with reasonable success (no real time on the spokes, although I expect the rims to hold up).  This solution is fine for cross 2 pattern lacing, although I am suspect of the quality of the SS spokes from past experience.

Is there any appetite to find a supplier of quality SS spokes and non-corrosive nipples that can provide spoke lengths for both cross 2 and cross 3 lacing? Does anyone know of a supplier of aluminum rims compatible with cross 3 pattern lacing?

I have an arsenal of OEM spoke lengths, spoke thicknesses, threaded lengths, bend length etc.  Please comment as past posts on this subject are less detailed than what is required to get this right.  Thanks, Pentonpal      

JP Morgen

Buchanan's can drill the rims for cross three, and they do have smaller gauge spokes and nipples...

Tom Penton

Sorry Stainless Steel didn't work out ... I hear it's just the thing for Southern Texas.:D

Other than being a smart ass, I can't help much. Although we in the Pacific Northwest have the reputation for being very wet, rusty vehicles is not a problem, mainly because of no salt on the roads. The coast is another thing, though, and luckily the majority of population is inland. (Portland, also, on the Columbia River, is quite some distance from the coast.) Of course, naive me, when I first moved to Eugene, I bought a mid '70's Datsun with confidence in it's integrity, only to get it home to find it was a coastal car and the floorboard was rusting through: no problem, it got a genuine floor "board": plywood!

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

If it has two wheels, a Penton motor, and gas in the tank, your ready to go.  just gas it. Ol Dave.

pentonpal

OK, so basically no one took my previous post seriously.  

Although I do like the SS rocket silo image - thanks Tom.  Reminiscent of younger days.

Sure, you can go to "Buchanan's Spoke and Rim" and spend a small fortune to special order rims/spokes/nipples; but that was not my objective!  The cost of a set of special order wheels/spokes/nipples would be north of $800.00 (without tires and tubes).  I am attempting to do this myself on a somewhat lower budget; both as a learning experience and for cost savings.

This is a forum on Penton motorcycles, correct?  Someone tell me the thread size of the OEM Penton spoke nipple (both size and pitch)?  If you can't, why not?  Where were the spoke nipples manufactured (Germany. England, other)?  Where were the spokes made?  Can the OEM nipples be purchased today; perhaps in less corrosive materials?  If not, why not?

The actual OEM Penton spokes are very non-corrosive and can be re-utilized (re-purposed) provided a substitute nipple can be found. Just trying to spur the knowledge that is out there to come forward and comment.  

Sorry, negative comments will be immediately deleted as I cannot tolerate decent!

Thanks Pentonpal

LeeBuff

Hi Penton Pal,

Did you check with Al Buehner for original spoke nipples ? He did have some a while back.
There are some original refurbished spokes listed on ebay.

Lee Buffenmyer

Jason Rowland

Intolerance for decent does appear to be showing somewhat....Tolerance for dissent, however, is a quality that makes America a truly great place to live.  You may delete my post at your convenience.  Guess I'm feeling a bit feisty today, too.

pentonpal

Thanks for the correction Jason.  Guess I was more beat up than I thought after having mowed in 90 degree heat and 90 percent humidity.  I think I am rusting.

Jason Rowland

As much as I love to mow and the smell of fresh cut grass, I don't think I'd have earned that merit badge.  The weather.gov website puts that heat index at just a tick below 130 degrees:  "heat/sunstroke HIGHLY LIKELY with continued exposure".  Add approximately 15 degrees if you're in the sun.  Better get those wheels built so you can make your own cooling breeze!