Penton on patrol

Started by Rick Bennett, June 27, 2020, 10:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Bennett

Headed to Ashcraft Farms for an AHRMA Mid Atlantic CC With my Six Days.

Jason Rowland

Be sure to file a report with HQ when you're back inside the wire.

Rick Bennett

Arrived Saturday afternoon and Dave Kutskel informed Randy and I that we could still hit the 2nd moto if we hurried and he would sign us up. Jumped into my leathers and Penton jersey only to find out Randy's CR125 didn't want to run on the bottom end. Some quick rejetting and rode over the ribbons onto the track to make a couple laps. Didn't even know where the track went. Got passed by some big thummper just before the flag. Not 100% sure we were in the right gate??? Oh well.
Ran the Sunday morning race for the older kids (10 to 15 years and 14 of them) and suited up for the vintage CC. The temps were high 80's and humid. The sighting lap showed a 4 1/2 mile course, almost all single track with LOTS of elevation changes. The biggest hill was full of softball sized rocks with no good line. It took most of an hour to clear the track of the carnage before we could start. Only two Pentons, Sandy Quickel and myself, both 125s out of 52 starters. Doused myself with water and lined up. Sandy only made one lap when his motor loaded up. Later found out the idle jet decided to go swimming in the float bowl and not do its job. I made three laps but ran out of steam long before the end. One of the hardest, roughest tracks I have ever been on. The EMTs had to drag someone in with heat exhaustion. Dave, an expert rider quit after two laps. He said it was the first race ever to do that. The winner in my class was one of our youth racers now old enough to race with AHRMA. I can't begin to keep up with these kids. I came in 4th in my class. Ran the race for the younger kids (3 to 9 and 12 of them) after regaining my sanity and drinking many bottles of water. Three and a half hour drive home with the AC on and a dirty Penton in the back. Great way to spend a weekend as an "On Any Sunday Racer".

Rick Bennett

Oh yea...Ran into another Danik, Jay, no green skin and antennae this time. A Six Days owner just the same. Let him take mine for a spin as he is contemplating changing to a Mickyuni from the Bing. I tried to talk him out of it. Also discussed shifting adjustments as he said mine was way better. Always good to run into another Sportcycle enthusiast.

Jason Rowland

I believe a promotion in rank, a few medals, and a week of R&R are in order....

Richard Colahan

Ashcraft Farm now in it's 2nd year has developed a reputation as a tough XC course. Like Rick, I also did 3 laps...took 1.5 hours...also whipped during the 3rd lap to the point where I simply pulled off the trail for a few minutes to get my 2nd (or perhaps by then 5th?)wind. It was good to see the checkered flag! (sorry...no Penton...XL 175).

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Rick Bennett

Richard
We were probably huffing and puffing 20 yards apart. Should have brought a deck of cards! Would have been more fun if it was 15 or 20 degrees cooler. Will miss the next one. See you at Coyote.

ssquickel

Since Rick was not able to make it to the twightlight farm race. ill try an do a race report. Another hot humid day of racing in the rolling hills of south central P.A. beautiful laid out course up and down the hill sides and flats. Single track was very nice with  flowing trails tied into a pasture with a nice flowing grass track then back into the woods. we had nice up hill climbs and down hill trails. Tied in with some small stream crossing. great fun course. we had 3 pentons there. I took 2 down 125 and 175 loaned 125 to Brett Reichart and I rode the 175 in vintage race. I believe the other penton belong to Russel Burton. I finished 6th and Brett 7th overall in vintage race. I rode the 175 in post vintage race. Had good 20th overall race going when bike quit running on my last lap. Had wire break of coil. be that's the fun of racing these old bikes you never know what will happen. Our next race isn't till end of Aug. Hopeful Rick will do Penton race report then.