What's a happy mix for a 125 Penton?

Started by clayman, July 26, 2020, 06:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

When I was racing CZs and Pentons competitively during AHRMA events a decade ago, I used Golden Spectro at 40:1 and all bikes were happy. Now, at 60-ish, and not racing much anymore, I use whatever I mix for my 2006 YZ 250 woods/desert bike, which is generally Maxima or Yamalube at 36:1. I used that in my '73 125 and it seems to run ok but maybe it's happier with the Spectro? Today's oils, meaning full synthetic, are so much better than the old school Spectro, Blenzall, etc., am I right?
Clay

Larry Perkins

Used Spectro many years but a mechanic showed me how Yamalube 2R stuck to things better when inspected for teardown. Have had great luck and no failures for quite a few years now.  I do 40 to 1 but not a big difference.

Larry P

clayman

LP, how are you doing? Hope all is well with you. It is hard to beat the Yamalube. I'll try it at 40:1. Still in search of a steel tanker but eventually I'll find one.
Clay

Larry Perkins

Clay,

My health improves every day.  Thanks for asking! Still some battle to go but headed in the right direction.  Will continue to keep eyes open for a Steel Tanker.  They are getting a bit pricey.  Blessings to you Brother.  

Larry P

skiracer

Opti 2 oil. 100:1.  Burns super clean. Helmut has been using it since the mid 70's and hasn't lost a top end yet. I have been using it since 2012, and would not use anything else.

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Bob Gilman

Yes, Skiracer is right Helmut told me about it in 2011 at the AMA Museum meeting,I use it in all my 2 strokes,weed wacker,chain saws makes every thing easy to start in cold weather.He said the Germans used it the airplane motors in  ww2 so if it lost its oil it could make it back to Germany.You can buy by the gal. or even packets for one gal. of gas each.

Daniel P. McEntee

I met Helmut "Speedy" Clausen back around when I first joined VINDURO ISDT Group, and met him in person at the ISDT Reunion Rides. He often talked about the Opti-2 oil and I started to look into it since at that time I had several different vintage enduro bikes ready to ride at any one time and some lawn equipment. I started by contacting the parent company to trace the production chain to see who carried it in my area. At each stop along the way I mentioned that I had heard about the product " from a gentleman I know from Canada" and each time they would say, "Who, Speedy!"
  I get it at local lawn and garden shops and by the bottle from one shop in particular in the south St. Louis County area. I don't go quite to 100-1 but the recommended mixture on the package works out to something like 75-1, and have never had any issues, even when I screwed some things up! Using it usually means some rejetting for a leaner mixture and subsequently some better throttle response and over all better performance. It mixes with 10% ethanol gas but I avoid that like the plaque anyway, so with straight pump gas you will see some improvement in the performance of your bike, I believe. It takes quite a leap of faith for some after running things one way for a lot of years, it did for me, but I have to say that I have been happy with it.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

skiracer

Yep.   You also buy it online, usually free shipping...

1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa