New Philly Hare Scrambles

Started by Tom Penton, September 09, 2020, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Penton

I was going through some older pictures and came across these. They are from a hare scrambles at the Mathias farm in New Philadelphia, Ohio. "Local does Good" is how this could be titled. #94 Don Mathias beat me (#18) to the finish line for a well fought race. We were neck and neck the entire race, but Don got me in the end. He had the discipline to hold the line whereas I lost it. I was upset with myself momentarily, but honestly, quickly simply admired his fine ride. There is no shame in coming in second in a well fought race.

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

hanksie

Tom,Thanks so much for the pic's from The Farm.Really good shot of you and my friend Don getting the jump on the rest of the field.Was this event before or after the Inter-Am held there? Thanks again,Bill

Tom Penton

I don't exactly remember the year ... Perhaps that winter/spring after the inter-am (1968), perhaps 1969.

I just noticed one of the dangers of motorcycle racing: that of a barn falling on you at the start/finish line. The barn support posts look "marginal"! [:0]

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

Tom Penton

I don't exactly remember the year ... Perhaps that winter/spring after the inter-am (1968), perhaps 1969.

I just noticed one of the dangers of motorcycle racing: that of a barn falling on you at the start/finish line. The barn support posts look "marginal"! [:0]

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

Don Roth

Well, at least 1968, according to that stuck Camaro.
Thanks for the pictures Tom.

rob brown

No side marker lights. 67 Camaro maybe

Mike Rosso

Maybe a better clue is the white Chevy window van with the (rear) side marker lights above the filler cap that showed up on the '68 (none on the '67 van or cars and trucks as noted). Here are a couple Chevy vans listed as 1968 models........but as we all know '68 model year vehicles back then were released in September of the previous year (1967)......there I just made more confusion but my guess this photo was taken in the fall or early winter of 1967.

The model year of the Husky on the trailer is likely another (better) clue and the Husky experts will know for sure.

One has to give the Chevy van owner credit as probably being one of the few that day having SNOW TIRES on. Oh I forgot those are real M/S tires or MUD and SNOW tires and not those worthless ALL SEASON (radial) tires most cars come standard with today.

Tom once again thanks for sharing.  

Mike

derek martin

Camaro is a 67 as it has a vent glass. 68s had no vent glass.

slvrbrdfxr

I agree with Derek that the Camaro is a 67 since it has the vent windows up front. It looks as if Husky on the trailer is pre 1968. I think there was a frame change in the 1968 Husky bikes which made the frame rails not quite as straight below the seat and also eliminated the little frame loop directly behind the seat.
Dave McC

derek martin

The tractor setting at barn corner looks to be either a 1855 Oliver or a 1955 Oliver. The first model year of the 1855 was 1969 while the 1955 first year model was 1970. Not sure but the model years were probably introduced late previous year; therefore, if it's an 1855 Oliver it could nail the date of the photo as later 1968 at the earliest

hanksie

If the Camaro guy would have asked Don's father Hugo,he'd pull them out with that tractor.   Bill

wfopete

Does anyone know if that barn is still there?

Would be neat to go back and make a before/after photo.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

hanksie

Sorry to say but the barn fell in some years back. Bill

paul a. busick

Hi All,  The Husky (I believe) is a 1967/68 250 cc. It has a small head pipe. 4 speed right side gear shift, narrow seat, sunken air cleaner cover, 21 inch front wheel and 2 piece frame.  I had a 1967, 360 that came with a 19 inch front wheel, which I changed to a 21. Edison Dye thought that the desert riders would not buy the Huskys if they had a skinny front tire. So the first ones were shipped with 19 inch front wheels. This info may not hold water as many of the early Huskys were built from any parts that were on the shelf. Amherst Paul
:D

Pat Oshaughnessy

I had a van just like that . I think mine was a 1969. I could haul 3 dirt bikes in the back. Middle one turned backwards. The good old days![:p]