October POG meeting - Saturday October 3

Started by ALB, September 21, 2020, 10:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALB

The October POG meeting will be held at meeting at
Roeder Racing and Service 3684 US-20 Monroeville, OH 44847

Saturday, October 3rd at 5:00 pm.

George Roeder asked if he could invite some of his offroad motorcycle friends and customers we thought that would be a great idea.

There is a covered pavilion that should work well. Short of a snow storm or very cold weather we should be fine.
In the pavilion are a number of picnic tables but we should consider additional seating to provide adequate social distancing.
In the case of bad weather we could move into the store.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

johnborn

I love it. I have been wanting to go there for some time now.

hanksie

With out question,coolest V-Twin shop around.Lots of flattrack history in there.Geo & crew keep it interesting. Bill

Tom Penton

I'll be there in spirit.

A bit of a George Roeder story. Early September, 1969, I'm in Ohio on leave from the Air Force, having just finished Boot Camp and Tech School. In a couple weeks I needed to be at George AFB, Victorville, Calif. I bought a brand new Red Honda 160 at Penton Honda (at Dad's dealer cost of not much over $600, if I remember correctly).

I wanted to put a windshield on the bike. Somehow I got wind that George had one of his last year's road racing fairings on sale. Hey, I could really up the cruising speed on the underpowered 160! I made the trip to Monroeville and bought it from George, cheap. Then with help from Uncle Ted, and with some difficulty, got it installed on the Honda. I had to rotate the handlebars down to get it to work.

Well, loaded down, I started my trip, and was able to make decent time. But oh, was it uncomfortable! I made it to St Louis and stayed with Dave Mungenast, who then helped me put on a proper windshield. I then made it to California OK, with a lot of drafting big trucks ... not recommended!

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

Paul Danik

Greetings,

And if having the Penton Owners Group meeting at the world famous Roeder Racing and Service on a beautiful fall Saturday wasn't enough....PIZZA will be provided so that when you are seated at the picnic tables udder their covered pavilion listening to all the famous racers spin their tall tales, you will have something to munch on  :)

Paul

PS    Tom Penton, being there in spirit only will not get you any pizza... :)

larrym

I'm certain ya'll know a little about George Roeder Sr. Known as the Flyin Farmer George was a member of the Harley Davidson race team who twice was runner up in the Natl. Championship Seeries losing the title once by a ssingle point. He also set the land speed trcord aboard a 250 Harley. George' s race machines , including the 250 strean liner are just a sample of what you'll see at the upcoming POG meeting at Roeders Racing Oct,3rd. Our host for this historic meeting is George Roeder Jr. George Jr. was an accomplished dirt tracker who was a threat to win where ever he raced with credits that include a win in the National Championship series. He's also the owner of Roeders Racing, and the curator of the on site Roeder Museum that features tons of vintage stuff from other famous racers. George is a wonderful source of dirt Track knowledge and stories.  If you like vintage, don't miss this one.
Sorry for the typos. Blame it on the doctor that whacked some Melanoma from the bridge of my nose and grafted new skin in its place that he g0t from my arm pit. Oh, one other thing. Have you ever wondered what it's like to do buck forty at the Springfield mile, sit upright, stick your leg out and turn left?
George will tell you, Hope you can make it.

Jason Rowland

Armpit skin on your nose?  That's ice cold....
Guess I can think of one worse place to grab a nose-patch - thank goodness Doc only hates you a little bit!

hanksie

Check out Roeder,A Wide Open Life on u-tube.Good insight about Geo & family.   Hope to make Sat.,  Bill

Paul Danik

Greetings,

Thanks Larry for putting this special meeting / gathering together. If I am not mistaken American Pickers stopped by the Roeder Racing facility a did a segment there. It will be great to see it firsthand.

Paul