1976 Penton MC5 250 Fiberglass Tank Leak

Started by Bryan Adams, December 16, 2020, 03:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Adams

I have a leak on the left pet cock threaded port.

I've applied an epoxy to the tank, used gas resistant thread tape, and replaced the pet cock itself.

I contacted a guy in Kentucky that repairs fiberglass tanks, but he said he would not touch it because I used the epoxy in the tank.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Bryan

Mike Korgan

Was it Caswell tank sealer. It worked for me on the same repair.

Bryan Adams

Mike,

Yes, it was Caswell.

I still have some of it, maybe I'll try another application.

Bryan

R.T.Fischer

Those tanks were made with polyester resin, epoxy will not form a chemical bond to polyester, so you have to create a mechanical bond by really scuffing , scratching the surface up so the epoxy has something to grab onto. That's after you really clean the surface of all residue, especially gas & oil that has soaked into it. Multiple washings with detergent & then a final clean with acetone & let dry completely. Epoxy is a very hard resin and is more gas resistant than polyester but at the same time more brittle so it needs a flexing agent added to bend more without cracking & separating. Also use non ethanol gas whenever possible.

Mike Korgan

I agree. I was told the prep was a critical step. Multiple washes and shaking it with drywall screws inside to rough up the surface was recommended.

61rover

Would you mind sharing contact info for your tank repair guy in KY?

John Crouse
74.5 Jackpiner 175
John Crouse
74.5 Jackpiner 175