HPI Timing on 76 MC5 400

Started by Frankie Schaffier II, March 08, 2021, 08:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie Schaffier II

Hello gentlemen, quick question regarding timing using the HPI ignition on my 76 MC5 400.

The HPI instructions read to line up the rotor line with the large line second from the left on the stator while at 2 mm BTDC. I was wondering if HPI is using the 2 mm number just as an generic starter point due to this ignition being used on multiple bikes.  Meaning should I go ahead and time to 2.4 mm BTDC as stated in the manual and of course using the same marks as called out in the instructions or is the 2 degs the number I need to use?

Thanks for the help, it's appreciated!

KJDonovan

Frank,

The HPI instructions are less than clear on that and the 2MM BTDC is just an example.  Set it at 2.4MM BTDC using the bold timing mark on the plate that is furthest to the right/clockwise.  Some of these backing plates with the timing marks have more marks than others which just adds to the confusion.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Frankie Schaffier II

Hello Kevin,

That's what I figured. And your so right, the direction are not too clear. Thank you for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated.

And I also edited my original post, I was typing in "degrees" when I should have been typing "MM BTDC" sorry to all for any confusion.