The black sheep Penton?

Started by rob w, October 30, 2002, 09:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Hi everyone, I have found a nice 76 125 MC5, (NOT the one on ebay). I was excited to find this bike because I have not seen another one this year. So when I was in Missouri I asked some knowledgeable Penton people what they thought about this model. They all separately seemed to agree that the first year KTM 125 did not impress anyone. In fact I got the feeling that this bike was flat out the black sheep of the entire Penton line-up.
 My plan for the bike would be to use it for post-vintage cross country, and MX. Maybe some trail riding too.
 If anyone can help shed some light, whether good, bad, or what-ever about the early 125 KTM engine, I would really appreciate it.
 Is it really the uncompetitive pig that a few guys have painted a picture of ?.
 I need to decide in a couple of days if it's worth the trip to look at it. Thanks alot, Bob.

metalkfab

Rob,Congrats on your Medal at the ISDTRR.Hope your pinky heals quickly and is all right.As for the '76 KTM 125,Go for it.If you restore it and it ends up like your 400,I'm sure you would be pleased.If it's a dog runner-so what!I'm sure you would have fun with it and that's really all that matters. Stay healhty and I'll see you again.

john durrill

Rob,
  did i understand you correctly in that you have the measurements for a 400 pipe? if so can you send them to me. i will post them on the Library site so those that want can get one made.
Thanks and we hade a great visit. hope to see you again at one of our vinduro rides.
John & Peter

Edited by - john durrill on 10/30/2002  12:35:22 PM

DKWRACER

Rob, the only thing I have heard re: 125 KTM motor is/was its propensity for breaking con rods, HOWEVER, this was a comment by a hard core racer who set his bike up with an internal rotor motoplat and was riding maybee on the extreme edge ???? I have a 125 that I am restoring and plan to race at NATS in the local Colorado arena, I have faith (maybee I'm asking to much?) the gearbox should be as strong as any, and keeping the TE together hopefully requires no more extra effort than I already afford all my others, I will have JPEGS avail etc... , it also has a Clarke plastic tank that I have painted, and hopefully will not suffer the doldrums about laying paint on plastic, I also have made moulds for the three hole mounting MC5 side panels and I have rear fenders for the same, if you are interested I can provide JPEGS as we speak !!!
Tom...

Thomas Brosius

rob w

Karl, You're right, there's not a Penton that was made that would not be enjoyable to own and ride. For me it's hard to refuse checking out any Penton I find for sale, but money is now becoming an issue, and I do not want to put building my 400 dirt tracker on the back burner. That's going to take a big share of my $$'s for the 2003 season.
That was fun to ride a couple of minutes apart so we could have time to meet at the check points, those memories of that epic weekend will be forever etched in my mind.

John, It was really great to meet you and Peter, we'll all have to ride together again someday soon. I do have a original 400 pipe that measurements can be taken from. Was there a factory spec sheet with the pipe dimensions, if so I don't have anything like that, I would only be able to draw my own print from what I have. I am trying to buy all the computer gear to send images and photos, right now I would have to mail or fax the info. I spoke at lenghth to Jeff Fredette, he was explaining to me how FMF builds simple dies to form their pipe sections, I did'nt fully understand it all, but it gave me the moto-vation to continue my mission of making replica pipes.

Tom, When it comes to buying side panels, I will want yours. Do you have a L.H. air box cover from 72-75 like I saw once on ebay? That one was carbon fiber I think, are they all fiberglass now? Have you ever taken a 20 lb. rock and given them the crash test? Thanks for your efforts, they look great. I have a 78 that needs side panels and a rear fender, will the 76-77 fit, I'm not yet accustom to those years/models. Thanks Deek.

imported_n/a

Bob, congratulations on your medal.  Your enthusiasm surely is contagious to us all!

As to the 400 pipe specs, there are performance specs for the 400 pipe in a late '74 or early '75 Keeping Track.  I looked at it last night.  The stock specs may be shown also.  It is in the form of a drawing.  I'll recheck it when I get home from work.  You may not have to take any measurements.  And if you have the issue I'm speaking of, you may have the specs already.  It is the article where it promises 6 more HP from your 400.  Hope this helps.  If you don't have it, I'll get it to you.

What did you do for silencing on your 400?  When I visited your shop you didn't know what you were going to do yet.  Let me know.

Gotta go.  Congrats again.

Glenn

DKWRACER

Rob, I only have LH side panel for 70/74 in fiberglass, they are pretty strong but I haven't given the rock test, it would be important to note the presence of the rear mount arm which supports the number plate portion of the side panel, if your frame does not have one, you should weld one in place to support the plate etc....My 76 LH/RH do not fit 78 MC5 as the configuration is different, but I do have moulds for 78's, The rear fender which mounts to the underside of the seat, I do have, as well as the 76 side plates (rear fender fits 78 MC5)...Send an email to me so that I can send JPEGS etc...
[email protected]
Tom...

Thomas Brosius

john durrill

Rob, Glenn
I have uploaded an exhaust template to the Yahoo Library. Its in files.
 the measurements are listed as a, b , c, etc.
 you can measure a pipe and list the measurements as A= x Inches etc. Post them in files with a discreption that states which engine its for.
Glenn if you can scan the page with the 400 pipe dimensions and e-mail them to me I will get them posted in the Library
 we already have the 250 specs for a crank pipe listed. I have some I need to convert for the 125 and 175 CMF bikes. If we can get Kip to give us the Steel tanker specs we will have dimensions for pipes from 100 to 400 cc's that should work for all Pentons up to 1976 at least
John D.

imported_n/a

John, I'll have to install the scanner I've had for a long time but never used yet!  Give me a couple of days and I'll get it done.

Glenn