Mike Rosso ... please take a look.

Started by Paul Danik, March 19, 2021, 10:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Hi Mike,

Would you be kind enough to look at this photo and see if the guy on the right is Herbie Markus? I am pretty sure you knew Herbie from Bohn Cycle.

Thanks Mike
Paul

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=4038868639470995&set=gm.2666512486972742

Mike Rosso

Paul it's telling me "This Page is Not Available Now" ?? I'll keep trying. Paul yes I do know Herbie Markus....he used to have a toy Road Runner on top of his helmet IIRC and he was always at just about every motocross race that I was running. Lots of fun racing with him.....except the day at a wet and muddy Bellmesa (sp?) when just off the start and getting the holeshot I double rutted the front and rear wheels, went sideways off of a drop down jump and before I could pick up the Penton 125 Six Days Herbie landing right on my back, crushed my right hand and face planted me right into the crossbar. Cut my upper lip badly, even with a Jofa mouth guard, and I was bleeding pretty good on top of my face being completely covered with wet, sloppy mud. Herbie's girlfriend was the first one to get to me as I was dazed and laying there and she says in a real terrible tone "Oh Mike it's REALLY BAD!" To which I replied "Don't say it like that" LOL scared the Cr#! out of me but it turned out my right hand was the real issue. I spent a week or two in the Weirton General hospital after they carted me off in the ambulance. But really good things happened after that as to recover and get back into racing Ron Bohn decided the best way was to go to ISDT qualifiers with him. So the journey began and the rest is..............a long muddy trail LOL. So do I thank Herbie for landing on me or Ron for the rehab ISDT racing?? I think both :)

Speaking of Ron Bohn I sent him your photo at the check in Italy and I  thought that the woman that you were curious about with the Penton cap in the chair behind you really looked like Beverly "Bev" Bohn Ron's wife. He replied and I sent that reply to Wes Habermehl (as I'm not a Facebook member along with a bunch of other photos over the last months) and Ron and Bev say they are pretty sure from the body language, the nose and the fact that Bev has always worn her wrist watch on the right wrist that it is Beverly Bohn. Hopefully a mystery solved..............unless someone chimes in with a different person..but knowing Ron and Bev for so long I'm sure it is her and thought so from the first time I saw your photo.

Regards,

Mike

Paul Danik

Hi Mike,

The photo link goes to Facebook so maybe that is why you get the Not Available Now message. Not trying to sell you on anything, but tons of Penton and ISDT action on Facebook.

I connected with Herbie a few years back, I think it might have been at the York Swapmeet and I enjoyed catching up with him. Interesting story you shared about Herbie, thanks for sharing it.

I had though that the gal in the Italy photo was possibly Ben Bower's wife, but he said it was not her. Thanks for solving that mystery.

Isn't it interesting how as we age so gracefully and start to look back at our own life's trail how certain events that seemed like such a dark cloud at the time, in actuality were defining moments with great importance, such as Herbie landing on you and sending you to the hospital. For me I think about how I abused the tranny in my first Penton and since Kupec Cycle wasn't yet trained in the repairs we ended up going to Amherst and The Man Himself, John Penton personally did the repairs on it. I can still pretty much recall the events of that day as though it happened just a few weeks ago. Walking into the Penton Honda building and asking for John and Jack stating that he was running late, but would soon be there. Jack then proudly proceeded to show me a story about his big brother Jeff in a cycle magazine as we sat together on a bench made of cases of oil. I was in so much awe that this guy's brother was in a motorcycle magazine !!!!!!!! Picture and all !!!!!! And to think, if that Sachs tranny would have been bullitt proof that life changing event would have never occurred. I don't wear any jewelry, but if I decide to in my golden years in may be a big gold chain with a gold covered worn out selector key hanging from it, could make for an interesting tattoo as well !!!! The other morning Jack called and we talked for the better part of an hour, who would ever have thought that what started out as mudrunning at Sunset Riders and such tracks would have ever led to so many life long friends and memories. And just for the record, if I ever have a gold chain with a gold selector key on it you can be sure it was spray bombed and not dipped in the real stuff !!!

John personally tore my Sachs engine apart and did the repairs, when finished he said " Paul Danik I want you to go back to Pennsylvania and help me to keep these Pentons running". When telling that story I compare it to Noah getting his instructions from The Man above !

As for Bell Mesa Raceway, you and I surely crossed paths there at some point as I raced there a number of times. Were you there for the ISDT send off rally for the 1971 ISDT Team? It took place on September 5, 1971, I know that for sure as I still have the "Official Commemorative Program" from the event. Get this, my program is personally signed by Ron Bohn, Dick Burleson, Jeff Penton, Ron Webster, Jack Lehto, Jack Penton, Dane Leimbach, Jerry Pacholke and Charlie Vincent. At that time I never would have dreamed that in just two years I would be prepping for an ISDT event..... BUT, Bel Mesa played a part in that as well as Jack Toole and Phil Patterson were there for a MX one time and at the end of the event Jack Toole said to me, " if you just slow down a bit you just might make a half decent enduro rider". By the next weekend I was all enduroed up and met those guys at Jack's shop and off to southern Ohio we went....and like you said above....So the journey began and the rest is..............a long muddy trail LOL.

Take care my friend,
Paul  

Mike Rosso

Sorry Paul I still can't access the photo through your link :(

Tom Penton

So I'll make it official ... it's Beverly.

The link to the facebook sound test works for me.

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

Paul Danik

Tom, can you post this picture in this thread? I am hoping you can access it.

Thanks,
Paul

Tom Penton

Posted, Paul ... also on your facebook page (wall? timeline?).

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

Mike Rosso

Quotequote:Originally posted by Tom Penton

Posted, Paul ... also on your facebook page (wall? timeline?).

Tom Penton

Maybe it's just me but still can't access the photo, Facebook page or see it here? Tom thanks for the "Bev Bohn" confirmation  :)

Mike

Paul Danik

Hi Tom, I gave bad instructions, but thanks for following them...:D

If you click on the link below, is there a photo of a rider getting a sound test ? If so, can you post that photo in this thread, the one you are now reading? I would like for Mike to be able to see it.  

Thanks, Paul

fischercycle

HELLO ,PAUL I KNOW who that is, someone from the pgh.butler area. being that we are neighbors I will not tell your wife, good to see some your old pictures,PS. BY THE WAY ARE YOU AND CONRAD STILL IN FOR OUR ANNUAL ABOUT 120 MILE RIDE SORRY WE HAD TO CUT IT THIS YEAR TO ABOUT A 75 MILE RIDE THIS YEAR. JEFF AND JOHN SAID ITS TO HARD ON THOSE OLD VINTAGE ( BIKES AND BONES,) ;) SO WE CAN USE WHAT EVER YOU BRING LET ME KNOW, THANKS JAKE

Tom Penton

Paul, Mike. I posted to Paul's Facebook timeline and the sound test page, it shows up on my computer. Mike, you have to sign up for Facebook to see them, I guess is how it works. Also on this POG page, under my first post "I'll make it official ..." is a posted picture that I can see. It is a link to my Blogger website that has a repository of pictures that I've posted on POG.

http://thomaspenton.blogspot.com/

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

Mike Rosso

Hi Tom, I can see the Italy check with Paul above, I can go to your Tom Penton page (link) but I can not see, or connect to Paul's Facebook page image link of Herbie or any link to it? I can normally see images on various Facebook pages (Leroy Winters Memorial ISDT Reunion, USA ISDE/T, Penton Motorcycle, etc.,) but not the image to Herbie/sound test for some strange reason????? Can you post or link it the same way as the Paul and Bev Italy check image as above? Thanks, Mike

I keep getting this:

This Page Isn't Available Right Now
This may be because of a technical error that we're working to get fixed. Try reloading this page.

Mike Rosso

Hey Tom, a little note sitting here at a little before 5:00 AM, Every morning around this time a vehicle heads past the house down to the End 'O Way farm (2-tenth away) and has been doing that for longer than the more than 30+ years that I (we/family) have been living here. I know what it's about and know what's getting delivered, "The Chronicle" newspaper that your Aunt Pat wrote all of her articles for all of her life. They never stopped and every time I'm up and see the (now) SUV drive by I think of Pat a just wonderful person.:) I saw and watched the link you posted about your Aunt Pat and the books she had written, nice, very nice. Sorry just a little rambling. Oh and your Aunt Pat NEVER slowed down she would fly by the house coming and going and we always knew it was her even if we didn't see which car went by......you could still feel or hear the wind rushing by LOL.

Mike

Mike Rosso

Tom, do you recognize the place (above photo) and the old pickup truck?

The pickup might be a stretch but you're pretty good with this stuff :D

Mike

Mike Rosso

Paul I was finally able to view the "sound test(er)" photo and for some reason I don't know if that is (to me) Herbie. The person seems too old at that point in time if that Penton is current to the time of the sound test? The Herbie Markus I remember was thin and I never saw him in later years. Sorry.

Mike