Newbie and Proud Owner of a 1972 Penton Six Days

Started by Mx360guy, May 01, 2021, 10:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mx360guy

Hi all,

My name is Tracy located in Southern California. I was lucky enough to come across a rough yet nearly complete '72 Six Days with a Sachs engine. I have so many questions..They are quite different than the Japanese bikes of this era which I am use to. The S/N on the frame is 20756372. I am very curious about the 2 capped tubes sticking out of the frame below the front of the gas tank? I have read about breather tubes??[?]
looking forward to meeting the members on this forum and learning more about these great machines.

Tracy Howell
Tracy Howell

wrongway57

Hello. Have fun with your new bike. I have the same bike. I think you are talking about the fork stops? That year should just get its air thru a hole on top of the airbox.

Ronald Gray
Ronald Gray

Mx360guy

Ahh..makes sense. I need to get manual ASAP.

Thanks very much Ronald!

Tracy Howell
Tracy Howell

Larry Perkins

Al Buehner has reprints of the manual you need. He is in the suppliers section.  He also has many NOS parts.  I have 2 12X30 storage units with used parts if you need any of that.

Larry P

Mx360guy

Thanks Larry for the FYI about the manuel and your parts stash. That is good to know. I will definitely need a few things once I start to get into it.
Much appreciated!

Tracy Howell
Tracy Howell

Mx360guy

The kick start petal is stuck pretty solid. I can get it to budge with WD-40 and pulling it open with a pipe but not a good situation.

Anyone know how this comes apart? Looks like there is a pin that could be driven out. Is there a spring inside?

I am ready to take it off and soak the whole thing in mystery oil for a few days.

Thanks[8D]

Tracy Howell
Tracy Howell

firstturn

Just remove the kick start and shift lever with 10mm wrench.  Slide both  of them off the shaft best to just put the kicker in a vice with rubber aw protectors.  Just spray some penetrating oil or WD40 on the pin.  Gently drive it out.  You will have a spring and ball bearing  that isused for the indent.  You  can clean ut all up and reassemble.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mx360guy

Thanks Ron,

I will do that.

FYI, the California Off Highway registration; "green Sticker" we call it here, that was attached to the left number plate, expired in June 1976.

She has been out of action for quite a while it seems..

Old and crusty but with a lot of potential!

Tracy Howell
Tracy Howell