Centerstand quetions....

Started by skiracer, November 05, 2021, 05:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

Does anyone have a centerstand on their bike?  If so, I have a few questions for you...

I have always been a big proponent of them, and have built many for the bikes that I race.  It took me a while to figure out the return spring action so that it actually worked.  My biggest question, is related where the stands are mounted.  Every stand I have seen, are mounted to the frame which leads to an issue; as the swingarm goes up (compressed shock) the stand remains at the same level, and is exposed to whatever is on the ground.  Has anyone ever seen a stand mounted to the swingarm?  I haven't and wonder why.  If it were, the stand would travel with the swingarm, eliminating the ground clearing issue. If it was mounted near the pivot point it would still be able to balance the bike when the stand was down. Any thoughts?  

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Mike Rosso

Good question and I'm sure we could find a manufacture that has mounted a centerstand to a swingarm over the decades but IMO not sure if that is the best place for it when it comes to the best reason for having a centerstand. Getting a certain manufacture that I rode and worked for to put a centerstand on the bike was for the purpose of being able to change not only the rear tire (or brake shoes, etc.,) but also the front tire (brake shoes, etc.,). We modified the frame mounted production centerstands so when it was down the rear wheel was much higher off of the ground to make it easier to remove the rear wheel and so if it was soft ground the wheel was always not touching the ground to be able to spin it when servicing the chain (lube/clean) or to even replace a chain. But one of the more important reasons was that it had to be in the most central position on the bike so when the front wheel was removed that the bike would pivot toward the rear and the rear wheel would then sit on the ground and not fall forward and collapse. I think that if the centerstand is mounted to the swingarm or that far to the rear it may not be able to pivot toward the rear when to remove the front wheel??? It would be interesting to find out?

Mike

Ps. I just noticed from the photos of the bike from the "certain" manufacture how much longer the centerstand would need to be if mounted to the swingarm to achieve the height for the rear wheel off of the ground. Probably 4" to ?? inches

skiracer

Just the guy I want to talk to!  Yes, I understand what you are saying.  Helmut has the same idea.  Your example with the PE is a good point, however, on the 76 MC-5's, the swingarm is much closer to the bottom of the frame, so the length of the stand would not be an issue as you pointed out.  I designed mine so that the stand is even with the bottom of the frame in order to not conflict with ground clearance going over logs or rocks.  Mine is not centered so I don't have the ability to remove the front wheel, only the rear wheel.  

So, a couple of questions on your PE; I too have the same bike and made a centerstand per the specs on the original.  How do you keep the stand up?  I know there was a large rubber grommet which I tried, but, you need two men and a boy to get it on and off.  My second question, is how did you ever change the air filters quickly on that bike???  There are 2 bolts to take the side cover off, then 3 screws to take filter box cover off, and then there is 1 screw to open the cage that holds the filters in.  Inquiring minds want to know!

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mike Rosso

Good question and I'm sure we could find a manufacture that has mounted a centerstand to a swingarm over the decades but IMO not sure if that is the best place for it when it comes to the best reason for having a centerstand. Getting a certain manufacture that I rode and worked for to put a centerstand on the bike was for the purpose of being able to change not only the rear tire (or brake shoes, etc.,) but also the front tire (brake shoes, etc.,). We modified the frame mounted production centerstands so when it was down the rear wheel was much higher off of the ground to make it easier to remove the rear wheel and so if it was soft ground the wheel was always not touching the ground to be able to spin it when servicing the chain (lube/clean) or to even replace a chain. But one of the more important reasons was that it had to be in the most central position on the bike so when the front wheel was removed that the bike would pivot toward the rear and the rear wheel would then sit on the ground and not fall forward and collapse. I think that if the centerstand is mounted to the swingarm or that far to the rear it may not be able to pivot toward the rear when to remove the front wheel??? It would be interesting to find out?

Mike

Ps. I just noticed from the photos of the bike from the "certain" manufacture how much longer the centerstand would need to be if mounted to the swingarm to achieve the height for the rear wheel off of the ground. Probably 4" to ?? inches

1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Mike OReilly

Not to mention that the swingarm is aluminium, which complicates matters a bit.
Beautiful PE, is the color photo a contemporary shot?
I notice as well what appears to be a Falk front fender in yellow? Very cool.

I have a 1978 ISDT that Dane Leimbach was fixing up for himself, and as a dealer I wanted a 175 for a demo but was told by Penton that all the new 78's were on backorder, as the new white ones were selling fast. A few days later Penton called and said that Dane was fixing up a 175 for his own use but had hurt or broke his leg or ankle?  They knocked off a couple hundred and though he may had rode it out back.  I said ship it as I really needed a bike as my friends and I had a big ride planned.  When the bike arrived I pulled it from the shipping box with a small hoist I used in the shop. Someone had put Danes name and ISDT on the box. After the 175 was out of the box I found the 175 had Fox shocks a torque pipe, with the old mount left on, a center stand mounted to the swingarm and 1/2 tank of gas. I had sold some white MX or MC5s so this was my first white GS-6. The bike is a  blast to ride  and handles great, also Dane had replaced the 35mm forks with a set of 38mm GP forks. Don't know what the GP stands for? For got, I steal have the ol 175 and the box, and at this time its being restored. Work is coming along as every things been painted. I would have no idea how many miles our hours the ol 175 has on it. speedo has over 5,000 showing and hasn't worked in years. The lower end as never been apart but the rod is s bit loose and it's on last bore 80 plus. The center stand works great, a lot better then the side ones. I dont know how to post pictures but my wife can send them with her phone @ 812-830-9918   Ol Dave

Mike Rosso

Quotequote:How do you keep the stand up? I know there was a large rubber grommet which I tried, but, you need two men and a boy to get it on and off.

Check out vacuum cleaner drive belts and find one that works for your bike.............

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sanitaire-Upright-Round-Vacuum-Cleaner-Belt-designed-to-fit-all-Sanitaire-Up/115678929?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=17019

We ran an extra belt on the right side but didn't use it unless the left side broke (you may even be able to spot it in the photo from Elba ISDE?) and we didn't have time to replace it in a pinch. Carried a couple extra vc belts in fanny pack just in case or when we had time to replace the broken left/main belt. Also you could use two belts on the same side and put a or two wide zip-tie(s) through them just large enough to get a gloved finger or two through the ties to pull it over the frame hook. That might also work on the stock rubber mount??

Mike

skiracer

Thanks Mike!  I will check them out.  Elba, that is where this years Vintage race was a couple of weeks ago.  So to be clear, you took the bands off when you lowered the stand correct?  Thanks so much for the input, it is well appreciated.  I really feel the stands belong on the vintage bikes, and want to have them work properly.  

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mike Rosso

Quotequote:How do you keep the stand up? I know there was a large rubber grommet which I tried, but, you need two men and a boy to get it on and off.

Check out vacuum cleaner drive belts and find one that works for your bike.............

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sanitaire-Upright-Round-Vacuum-Cleaner-Belt-designed-to-fit-all-Sanitaire-Up/115678929?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=17019

We ran an extra belt on the right side but didn't use it unless the left side broke (you may even be able to spot it in the photo from Elba ISDE?) and we didn't have time to replace it in a pinch. Carried a couple extra vc belts in fanny pack just in case or when we had time to replace the broken left/main belt. Also you could use two belts on the same side and put a or two wide zip-tie(s) through them just large enough to get a gloved finger or two through the ties to pull it over the frame hook. That might also work on the stock rubber mount??

Mike

1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Mike Rosso

Centerstand placement miss [:0]  [V]

Mike

skiracer

Thanks a good photo!  It must have been fun getting that back wheel on!

1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

skiracer

HUge shout out to Dave Sanders for supplying me with a wealth of information on the stands! Thanks again Dave!

1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa