Decals on Plastic Tanks...

Started by skiracer, March 11, 2022, 07:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

Has anyone had any success on mounting decals on plastic tanks?  I got a new tank for my 175, and that lasted one day of riding.   >:(  I have a set of perforated decals on a PE tank that work okay, but, is there another method to use?   
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Mike Rosso

Does your tank have one of those one way valves in the gas cap vent hose?

skiracer

1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Mike Rosso

That might be your problem? We've had issues on KTM models with some or most of those one-way vents where they will just sitting the check (ball) system will raise and seal from gasoline vapor pressure. At that point the vapor starts to permeate through the plastic as it's the only way out. Try it without that one-way valve for a bit and see if there is a difference? You can sometimes tell if the one-way valve is not working or doing what I just explained by putting an ear close to the cap and opening it or by pulling the vent hose off too and listening for the pressure releasing. If it's not that valve....."I got nothing"  ;D ;D ;)

Mike

skiracer

Thanks for the input Mike, well appreciated!  I think I am going to go with the small blue oval decals instead of the long black and white striped originals.
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Mike Korgan

If you are looking for the C shaped graphics for a 77 / 76, Fastlane MX graphics has perforated decals in that style. I've had them on my bike with the Clarke tank for close to a year, gas in the tank, without any issues. Contact Bryan, he does good work.
Mike