1973 Penton 250cc hare scrambler

Started by Lsroberts549, March 31, 2022, 05:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lsroberts549

Does anyone have any info on the history of this motorcycle?  1973 Penton 250 cc hare scrambler.  Thanks in advance

Daniel P. McEntee

If you mean that specific bike, that may be difficult. As far as '73 Harescramblers, that was the first production year, or really about a half year, for the 250 , especially with the yellow tanks and fish tail exhaust ends. The engine has some differences from the '74 and later models also. You can go to the home page and the production year section and compare your frame number to the list and see when yours was built. they did not make this style for very long, so people mainly collect them. You can check the engine numbers on that list also. I love the color and wish they had kept it on the 250 instead of "going red'!! The engine has the smaller kick starter shaft that most people upgrade to the later larger one ( 14mm I think as compared tp 17mm on later models) In this day and age I think it fits the term, "rare."
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Dale Fisher

I think Tom Brosius may have built it or possibly a different one with unique colors.
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

DKWRACER

Greetings...no, that one was not built by me, does have some unique features tho.......
Thomas Brosius

Lsroberts549

@dkwracer - thanks for the response.  I was told this bike was featured in a magazine back in the day.   I don't have any idea which one.  Any guidance on other avenues I can pursue to learn more about the bike?  We do have the frame and engine numbers.  Thanks in advance

Lsroberts549

@Dan McEntee - thanks for the good info.  Any ideas on other resources to trace this bike would be appreciated.  🙂

Daniel P. McEntee

Quote from: Lsroberts549 on April 03, 2022, 10:44:42 AM
@Dan McEntee - thanks for the good info.  Any ideas on other resources to trace this bike would be appreciated.  🙂

Find your frame number and engine number to determine when it was made. If you have any paper work such as a title or a certificate of origin (this can vary by state) then you might want to see what the local DMV can tell y6ou about it's ownership history. This far down the line it may be almost impossible unless previous owners saved anything related to the bike and passed it on to you. Some states only save that information for a limited time and if the bike sat idle for a long period of time that can cause the paper trail to go cold also.
  Good Luck  With It !!
    Dan McEntee

Toolsurfer

Two guys that I rode with and competed against bought new in early 74 250 Harescrambler and Jackpiner that looked like one in picture but wheels were akront and silver and fully stock as well as the Jackpiner his brother had . To bad he traded for new yamaha MX which I though was a trade down . Pentons were race ready out of the crate and a winner if you had the talent .