DC Side Panels

Started by Chrisbo, August 04, 2022, 03:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisbo

Good Evening Pogers,

Looking for a bit of help/information please.
I recently purchased a set of side panels for a 78 MC5 from Andre Horvath in Austria and unfortunately when they arrived they turned out to be DC Plastics ones  :(

They look shit but I was prepared to put up with that. The issue I have is they are actually slightly smaller round the back end than the scabby original one I still have. The worst thing though is when I offer them up to the frame, there is no way on earth they will fit. The holes are about 1/2 inch out in the pitch (i.e too close together) so I can't get the bolts to screw into the frame brackets. Has anyone on here also experienced this? They are actually totally useless and not even fit for purpose  :( :(

Thanks for taking the time to read and for your responses
Best Wishes
Chris.

Mike Korgan

They might be for a GS. I know the 77&76 MC's and GS's are slightly different.

Chrisbo

Thanks for the reply Mike,

So would that mean that the frames are different for both the MC5 and the GS6 then?

The panels I have are listed for an MC5 but that is the only set I see on DC's website, no option for a GS6  :-X

Anyone else had any issues or know if the 78's had different mounting points between the two models?

Thanks again folks
Best Wishes
Chris.

Chrisbo

The part number from my MC5 KTM manual says the frame is:

55.03.001.300 For all three models.
55.03.001.201 (for models with exhaust 51.05.170.700) whatever that means??? I thought parts starting 51 were normally for 125cc machines?

Does anyone have a 78 GS6 manual they could quote the frame part number from if they don't mind.

Thanks again
Chris.

Mike OReilly

The 1976 Cross country is the same as the 1974-76 CMF Pentons.
I have not checked 1978 MC5, but it was an all new bike, different from the previous generation and I suspect the side panels were different as well.
Good Luck.

Chrisbo

Thanks Mike. Yep the side panels I bought are the only ones that DC have listed for a 1978 but they just don't fit.

I spoke to Andre at Enduroklassiker and he reckons you have to open the holes out and move them to make them fit. The only issue is they will no longer be in the centre of the depressed part where the bolts go through so it will look a bit odd  :(
Also it would have been easier if there had not already been holes (in the wrong location) pre-drilled into the panels from source :(

Thanks
Chris.

ALB

The side panels for the GS6 are longer than the side panels for the MC5 - they both have 3 mounting holes.
Also the hole spacing for the bottom 2 holes is different between the GS6 and MC5.

The 1978 side panels were changed to where there are only 2 mounting holes.

Let Andre know about your problem so that he is aware of it.

The 1976 Enduro bikes are basically the same as the 1975 bikes. With the release of the 1977 GS6 bikes - everything was changed.
Alan Buehner

Chrisbo

Thanks Al,

I have messaged Andre' and he said the holes need opening out, so I'll need to try and move the centres when I do it. Trouble will be, I think the top hole is in the correct place so I need to move just the bottom one down by about 12mm. It will look proper odd with the depressions pressed into the panels and the bottom hole way off centre  :(

It's not any fault of Andre's, it just appears to be the DC panels are a bit rubbish.
Maybe I'm doing them an injustice and the 78 panels are longer too and it's actually a GS6 I have not an MC5. That would mean two totally different frames for 78 bikes which seems a bit extreme for no real reason  :(

I might try buying a set of the French made copies that I've found on Ebay. They look like much better pressings and they don't appear to have the holes in them. Hopefully they could be a better fit.

I'd be interested to know if anyone that has either a 78 GS6 or MC5 what the distance between the top and bottom hole is on the frame brackets. I'll measure mine and post the findings up for future reference

Thanks again for the replies folks
Chris.

skiracer

Hey Chris,

I have a 76 MC-5, 250 and use the DC panels for racing.  I had some issues with the location of the bolt holes too, along with issues on the top flange tht fits under the gas tank.  Since it is a race bike, I am not overly concerned that the bolts aren't exactly in the center of the panel depressions.  If you need some measurements of the mounting brackets, let me know where you want the measurements from.  Aslo to take into consideration, is the build date of your bike/frame.  Changes came fast at the factory, so, the timing of your frame fabrication might be an issue too.  My bike was built in March of 1976.  You can email me directly if you like. 
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Chrisbo

Thanks Skiracer, appreciate the offer,

Mine is actually a 78 bike but your're right about the flanges that go under the seat/tank. I had to twist and bend the panels just to get them to sit flat. Better than no panels at all though I suppose.

Best Wishes
Chris.

Carl Hill

I just measured my 78 MC frame. Looks like 8-3/4 inches.

Carl Hill

Left side looks like 10-1/2 inches

Chrisbo

Thanks for that Carl.
I'm going to try and get out tomorrow and measure mine. I'll check the side panels at the same time and post up
Best Wishes
Chris.

Carl Hill

I was looking at photos on the internet. The GS and MC side panels look different.

DKWRACER

Greetings from Colorado...re: 78 side panels...moons ago I was reproducing fiberglass repops of side panels. I do have an oem set for 78 that were used to make the molds, they are still in good shape, and hole spacings is correct etc....If you need them, can do.....Contact via txt.. can send a few pics...303 922137eight, adios for now 8)
Thomas Brosius