1969 Sachs clutch control

Started by Bill Bean, August 25, 2022, 01:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bean

I am in need of a clutch control arm and perch for my 1969 Penton/Sachs Motocross with 7/8" handlebars.
Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can look for one? Thanks

slvrbrdfxr

Hello Bill,
Welcome to the POG site. Are you needing the ISDT style quick adjust type lever and perch like the one pictured ? This type came standard on the 69 Steeltank Penton. Let us know.
Dave McCullough

Bill Bean

Thank you, Dave,
I have attached a picture of the front brake lever assembly.
The aftermarket clutch lever that I tried to use does not pull the clutch cable far enough to release the clutch.
The perch is smaller. (Shorter?) than the original. The original levers are smooth. Also, the adjuster, screws into the perch.
Thank you for helping me with this. I rode Motocross and Enduros in the early 70's on this Bike.
BillSachs Brake lever small.JPG

slvrbrdfxr

Bill,
You're welcome. Yes, I can see from your picture that it's a Sachs which should use the type levers you pictured. I'll check my Magura stash to see if I have what you are looking for. When is the last time your bike was ridden and the clutch working ? Reason I ask is because if it's been sitting idle (non-running)for a length of time, it's possible that the clutch plates are stuck together and may not disengage even with the correct Magura lever. I'll let you know on the lever.
Dave McC

Bill Bean

Thank you, Dave,
I think you are on to something. I shortened the cable (too short) but I now know that the clutch should disengage. The arm that the cable pulls up in the clutch housing goes almost to the top of its ark. It should put plenty of pressure on the clutch.
It still doesn't disengage.

I will now take out the clutch (very carefully) and clean it.

Thank you again for your help and let me know if you have the right clutch lever and perch.
Bill

slvrbrdfxr

Bill,
I dug through my Magura box and came up with this perch and lever. The perch has a tiny crack next to the pivot bolt hole but think it should still work okay for some light non-racing duty. I do not have a pivot bolt/nut or cable adjuster for it however. If you go to the suppliers page on the website and look at Al Buehner's Penton parts page, he has the pivot bolt/nut and adjuster for sale in his inventory. I'd be glad to send these to you at no cost as I still own a Sachs bike too and have a soft spot for them. Let me know and we'll work out the shipping details. Also, if you plan to take the clutch apart to clean up the plates and friction discs, it's best to have a spare inner clutch gear handy to stack everything back up when reassembling it.
Dave McC

Bill Bean

Hi Dave,

You were right about the clutch being stuck together. They were a mess. I have it all cleaned up and have a clutch
hub coming, so that I can reassemble it. I would love to have the lever and perch. I looked on Alan's site and think I need to get the parts D and E at the top of the page? At 77 years old, I don't plan on doing any completive racing! My mailing address is P.O. Box 956 Colfax, CA 95713. Please let me know the amount that I owe you and I will send it to you. Thanks again for your interest and help. Loved the picture of your Sachs!
Bill

slvrbrdfxr

Bill,
I will get the lever and perch headed your way in the mail today. Yes, items D and E on Alan B's Magura parts page should complete the assembly. Keep us posted on the progress of getting the Sachs back up and running again.
Dave McCullough

Bill Bean

Thank you, Dave! Let me know how much to ship, so I can send the fee to you.
Ordering the other parts right now. This means a lot to me to have the original parts on my Sachs.
I will let you know when I get it running!
Bill

slvrbrdfxr

You're welcome Bill and you don't owe me anything. Just glad I was able to help you out. I dropped off the package at the post office a little while ago and they estimated delivery to be on Saturday. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site with regards to Sachs powered machines so just ask if you have questions. Best of luck getting your bike running again !
Dave McC

Bill Bean

Hi Dave,
I have the parts!!
I'm waiting for the screw and cable adjuster.
Putting the clutch back in today, if I can take the heat in my old garage.
We are at 104 right now!
I am putting medium Loctite on the ends of the screws.
Can't wait to get it running again.
Thanks for all of your help.
Bill

slvrbrdfxr

Any update on your progress Bill ? Be careful out there working in the heat. It's been a hot summer here for me as well with the forecast calling for triple digits returning once again for the next few days.
Dave McC

Bill Bean

Hi Dave,
 I just finished sealing the tank. (I used the POR-15.) I decided to just use wax on the tank, instead of a clear coat, to protect the original finish. Everything is back together!
I'm ready to start it up! I've been doing research on whether or not I can use starter fluid. The can that I have says that it has oil in it. Any ideas? I want to hear it fire up before putting fuel into the tank. I'll be sending a picture soon.

Bill

slvrbrdfxr

Bill,
Glad to hear you're making progress. I've had no I'll effects from using a small shot of starting fluid occasionally to see if a bike will fire. Good luck and keep us posted.
Dave McC

Paul Danik

Bill, Dave's dad Nelson has often told me of having a temporary tank of sorts that he uses when wanting to fire up a bike without installing the correct tank on the machine. Maybe Dave or Nelson will chime in with a few of the details. It always seemed like a geat idea and maybe it would suit your needs.  I enjoy following your progress

Paul