WTB '77 GS6 400 stock exhaust

Started by cageyar, June 13, 2023, 03:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cageyar

I'm looking for a stock exhaust for my '77 GS6 400.
If you know of any or can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
'77 Penton GS6 400
'10 KTM RC8R Akrapovic LE #21
'07 BMW R1200S Wossner
'03 Aprilia Tuono Racing #77
'82 Honda CBX
'81 Husqvarna 430CR
'75 Kawasaki H2
'69 Kawasaki H1
TEXT: 73dos-42ate-13zed8

slvrbrdfxr

Cageyar,
I restored a 77 400 GS6 about 10 years or so ago. I was really fortunate that the bike had a decent pipe to work with and was able to salvage the pipe and use it after making some modifications. The head pipe and main body of my pipe were in great shape but the big "bazooka" looking rear shroud was smashed beyond repair. What I ended up doing was cutting off the old smashed "bazooka" shroud and then welding on an old Krizman canister style spark arrestor muffler that I had laying around. It worked out pretty well and looked very similar to the original pipe. If you don't have a pipe at all then it could be difficult to find a good used one as they are pretty rare. Don't lose hope however because a brand new pipe might still be available from Italy. Check out this website https://www.pillondorino.com/ as they most likely have this pipe available for sale. I believe the part number you would be looking for on their website is ART.134. To buy the pipe you'll have to go through their US importer Roberto Pettinato who is not only a great guy to work with, he also gives a discount to Penton Owners Group members. You can look him up and contact him on eBay using his seller name parmabike. Good luck !
Dave McCullough

P.S. I still have some leftover stuff from several previous GS6 builds so don't hesitate to contact me through the Penton Owners Group site if you're looking for something.

cageyar

Wow! Thanks so much for that link to Pillon Dorino. Their pipe looks great.
And your bike came out fantastic. I have a pipe on my GS6 which someone mentioned is a torque pipe.
It looks to me it's maybe from a later KTM post'77. What do you think it is?
Thanks for the offer for parts-I'll be making list in the next couple of days.
I'm thinking of starting a new thread on the main forum to document the whole thing.
I'm bringing the motor out to Chicago Jerry next month to the A.M.A. Vintage Days in Ohio for a complete rebuild. Thanks again for the great info.
IMG_8636.jpegIMG_8637.jpeg
'77 Penton GS6 400
'07 BMW R1200S Wossner
'82 Honda CBX
'81 Husqvarna 430CR
'75 Kawasaki H2
'69 Kawasaki H1

slvrbrdfxr

Yes, the pipe on your bike looks to be from a 78 or later model which is a somewhat common thing since the original pipes are hard to come by. I've heard this makes them more torquey but don't have any experience with these later model pipes. After you get a list of needed parts together send it along to me and I'll see what I have. Chicago Jerry did the bottom end of the engine for my 400 GS6. He does a nice job. He may have already told you about the cylinder head combustion chamber modification that can be done on the 400 to make it easier starting. If not, ask him about the mod as it's worth it. I was also fortunate that my bike came equipped with a factory compression release which made it even easier to kick over. Hopefully you got lucky too and already have the factory compression release already installed in the cylinder. If not, that's a bummer because they're impossible to find anymore. Look forward to tracking your progress on the build. I'll be at Mid Ohio next month too. My space numbers are 50 and 59 which are just across from where the Penton Owners Group were set up in years past. Stop by and say hello. I'm putting the finishing touches on a 75 Jackpiner, 75 250 Harescrambler and a 74.5 400 Mint which I'm hoping to sell up there this year.
Dave McC

cageyar

Quote from: slvrbrdfxr on June 15, 2023, 05:45:58 PMI was also fortunate that my bike came equipped with a factory compression release which made it even easier to kick over. Hopefully you got lucky too and already have the factory compression release already installed in the cylinder. If not, that's a bummer because they're impossible to find anymore. Look forward to tracking your progress on the build. I'll be at Mid Ohio next month too. My space numbers are 50 and 59 which are just across from where the Penton Owners Group were set up in years past. Stop by and say hello. I'm putting the finishing touches on a 75 Jackpiner, 75 250 Harescrambler and a 74.5 400 Mint which I'm hoping to sell up there this year.
Dave McC

I just went out to look-the compression release is there-cable is a bit rough.
Definitely-see you there-thanks for all the good info today.
Ken G
'77 Penton GS6 400
'07 BMW R1200S Wossner
'82 Honda CBX
'81 Husqvarna 430CR
'75 Kawasaki H2
'69 Kawasaki H1