Ignition wire Sealing

Started by skiracer, June 26, 2023, 05:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

I'm looking for a puddy type material to use to seal where my ignition wires come out of the cases.  Any recommendations?  I have been using silicone, but now looking for something more solid.
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Doug Knight

Try some marine bedding compounds/sealer. Sitka Flex would be my first choice if it is still around. Mask off what you don't want to be covered. While in the marine industry this stuff had to cut off with a razor blade to be removed.

Daniel P. McEntee

How ever you seal the wire exit pot and grommet, make sure the ignition case is vented sufficiently up under the tank  or seat. This helps more than sealing any suspected leaks. A nice hot engine hits a cold creek crossing and the air inside the case contracts and will suck water past the best fitting case cover and sealing job. It used to really mystify me back in the day until I was clued in on it. I would always get some water out of the ignition case post race no matter huow well I thought it was sealed. After venting with a standard compression fitting and plastic tub run up under the tank, it was always dry after a race..
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee

cageyar

Good reminder about venting.
I've used this in both auto and moto applications-does better than silicone seal:
$8 at Amazon.
'77 Penton GS6 400
'10 KTM RC8R Akrapovic LE #21
'07 BMW R1200S Wossner
'03 Aprilia Tuono Racing #77
'82 Honda CBX
'81 Husqvarna 430CR
'75 Kawasaki H2
'69 Kawasaki H1
TEXT: 73dos-42ate-13zed8

skiracer

Quote from: Daniel P. McEntee on June 27, 2023, 09:54:03 AMHow ever you seal the wire exit pot and grommet, make sure the ignition case is vented sufficiently up under the tank  or seat. This helps more than sealing any suspected leaks. A nice hot engine hits a cold creek crossing and the air inside the case contracts and will suck water past the best fitting case cover and sealing job. It used to really mystify me back in the day until I was clued in on it. I would always get some water out of the ignition case post race no matter huow well I thought it was sealed. After venting with a standard compression fitting and plastic tub run up under the tank, it was always dry after a race..
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
Wow! I learned something new today!  Thanks Dan.  Yes my case has the original fitting in the case vented up under the tank.
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

skiracer

Quote from: cageyar on June 27, 2023, 05:48:44 PMGood reminder about venting.
I've used this in both auto and moto applications-does better than silicone seal:
$8 at Amazon.
I use this too.  Didn't think it would work on the gaps going into the case...
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa