Removing duct tape from fiberglass tank

Started by Aaron_D, August 16, 2023, 02:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron_D

Hello. I'm new to the forum and recently purchased a complete, but very dirty, 1975 Hare Scrambler. Right now I'm in the process of cleaning it up. Unfortunately, a previous owner wrapped a large portion of the tank with duct tape. I'm trying to remove the tape with Goo Gone, with only so-so results.

Does anyone have any tips for removing very old duct tape backing/adhesive residue?

Is the exterior or the tank painted red, or is the the color in the gelcoat?

Thank you,

Aaron Dolezal

KJDonovan

Aaron,

Soak a soft cloth in acetone and start rubbing - it's a slow process but works and doesn't damage the gel coat on the tank.

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Aaron_D

Thanks, Kevin. I'll give that a shot. I'm wasn't sure what is and isn't safe on a 48-year-old fiberglass tank.

Also, you're saying the exterior is just gelcoat and not painted?

KJDonovan

Correct - These tanks were originally gel coated.
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Daniel P. McEntee

Anything that will get the old adhesive off will have to rely on soaking. I have used WD-40 for this, and any of the citrus based cleaners may work also. There is a product called "Goo Gone"  that you might try. The acetone approach will work but it evaporates quickly. These others are more oily and will stay on the rag and on the tank much longer. Applying fresh material before going to bed and let it work over night might be best , then apply again in the morning while at work or doing your regular daily routine. Good luck with it.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Aaron_D

All clean! I used acetone, and when I ran out, denatured alcohol. I still had to use Goo Gone on the decals, because the other cleaners would wipe the graphics right off. It was a lot of work. Looks good, except the spider crack. I think getting it lined might be enough. It wasn't leaking before, anyway.

Don Roth

Nice work, gumshoe! (pun intended)