Sachs clutch hub

Started by Bill Campbell, November 30, 2023, 11:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Campbell

Greetings all. Onto the clutch with the Sachs 125 rebuild. The clutch hub #0658 001 000 I have has a small crack in it above the keyway at the bevel end of the hub. Is this common and if so is there a fix or do I purchase another one. The crack is about twice as long as the keyway width but the metal is still intact and didn't move with a light tap. Appreciate your thoughts Cheers Bill

Rick Bennett

Bill Campbell

Haven't looked. Thoughts are to Tig it or live with it as it is. Merry Xmas to all

Bill Campbell

Ok I have finally got the clutch together and positioned. It was not easy to fit it onto the clutch hub. Not sure if the tool would have helped. Assembled clutch on hub then slid it off and placed hub on shaft. Fitted clutch back on hub but had difficulty getting the hub past the last clutch plate. slight coercion prevailed. Played with the shifting adjustment. Shifting is a little on the stiff side but I hope that will free up with some use. If not back to readjusting.

Another question tho. I have 3 Sachs head gaskets that have the metal ring to sit around the cylinder sleeve like what happens with the 175-250-400 motor but my cylinder does not have the protrusion to locate the gasket. As you can see the gasket is not concentric to the bore. Am I supposed to use a different gasket or none at all like my Steel Tanker. Thanks in advance and oh yes Happy New Year.

Rick Bennett

Bill
The gaskets you have are correct. Just put it together. 
When I assemble a clutch, I use a spare layshaft and hub. Even doing it like this, sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling to getting it installed.
Rick

Bill Campbell

Thanks again for your inputs Rick. If I had a spare layshaft and hub that would be great but it might also be the starting point for getting another engine together if I could locate all the other parts that go with the layshaft and hub  lol. Now to get it to fit into my spare Hare Scrambler frame.

Carl Hill

Sounds like a lot of fabricating to put a Sachs engine in a 250 frame.