Penton Mint 400 starting

Started by Stuttgartautoman, January 15, 2024, 08:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuttgartautoman

Quote from: Daniel P. McEntee on January 17, 2024, 03:44:16 PM
Quote from: Stuttgartautoman on January 17, 2024, 09:35:29 AMKevin, my deck height is set to stock specs as well as the ignition timing. I spoke to Chicago Jerry about putting a thicker base gasket under the cylinder to reduce compression but he discouraged this as it alters port timing.
Thank you

If this is a fresh rebuild, it just needs some time on the engine. if you know some one that has the "leg" you need to get it to fire, invite him or her to go riding, get it started, and try to get at least an hour of easy does it riding on it. id you can find a long gravel road where you can get it into 3rd and 4th gear to get the RPMS to run consistently, that would be the best thing for it. Let it cool till cold in between runs and repeat until you get at least an hour on it, and I think you will see an improvement. Some paper shims under the head gasket may be enough to take the edge of it for this also and not alter the port timing, and can easily be removed later.
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

As Dan suggested, the bike is getting easier to kick start the more run time it has on it. I don't think any further changes will be necessary. Thanks for everyone's input here.

Kip Kern

The best 400 to own is a "76" with heavy flywheel and flyweights on the crank. Raced mine in the Vintage 6-days and could sit on the bike and kick it with my left leg and start on one kick. 2.4mm BTDC, 38mm Bing. Best vintage rider I've ever owned and raced.

Stuttgartautoman

Quote from: Kip Kern on January 30, 2024, 10:35:05 AMThe best 400 to own is a "76" with heavy flywheel and flyweights on the crank. Raced mine in the Vintage 6-days and could sit on the bike and kick it with my left leg and start on one kick. 2.4mm BTDC, 38mm Bing. Best vintage rider I've ever owned and raced.

Mine also has Bing 38mm and my timing is set 2.4 BTDC also. Engine sounds really good but haven't ridden it yet as I'm waiting on front spokes currently.