Steel tanker brake light switch

Started by t20sl, June 06, 2024, 09:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

Did Penton ever supply a brake light switch for the enduro kits 68-71?  If so what brand was it and what did it look like? Thanks all.

ALB

according to the 1968 Penton 100-125 spare parts manual #1
there are no lighting accessories shown.

according to the 1969 -1971 Penton 100-125 spare parts manual #2
there are 2 versions of head lights and tail lights shown, however no brake light switch.

The brake light switches became available with the 1972+ Penton CMF bikes.
Alan Buehner

t20sl

Seems strange that the taillight had 2 filaments but no switch was thought of. Several mistakes like same part number on frames, even though the 002 shows the mount for a low pipe. What does the switch look like and what brand for a 72?

slvrbrdfxr

It's highly unlikely that a brake light switch was unthought of on these bikes since the wiring diagrams contained in the service manuals for both the 69-71 Steeltanker and the 72 CMF bike both show a switch. The CMF wiring diagram in attached figure 46 says that the brake light switch did not come with the enduro kit but could be purchased from a dealer. I'm thinking folks just bought one of the many universal brake light switches on the market at that time since no specific part number was noted in the illustrated parts catalogs.

Stuttgartautoman

Roberto at motoraider.com carries original style brake light switches for the CMF bikes reproduced in Italy. They are gray plastic rectangular with 2 male electrical connectors. They are ZKW branded

Kip Kern

Personally,  there is no reason for a brake light switch.  I connect the headlight and taillight to the ignition. Yellow  for headlight,  green for taillight.  When the bike is running, the lights are on, when the bike is off the lights are off. Each bulb has two elements,  I consider the second as a spare. If you want a switch, install a handlebar switch to interrupt both. The less wiring the less electrical issues as most can't troubleshoot electrical issues properly.