Visiting American Pickers store / headquarters.

Started by Paul Danik, July 25, 2024, 05:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

·   ·
On the way home from a west coast trip that was part vacation and part Penton pickup, we just happened to get off interstate 80 at the LeClaire, Iowa exit. If LeClaire, Iowa rings a bell, possibly that is because it is the home of the American Pickers. The American Pickers store / headquarters is only a few miles from the exit and I highly recommend a stop there if you are in the area. Possibly some of you on the way to VMD, or maybe on the road home, will be passing by LeClaire. They are open 7 days a week. Finding the American Pickers shop is quite easy. Get off 80 at the LeClaire exit, go upriver till you see the B.P. station on your left, the American Pickers home base sits up behind the B.P. station. The river is the mighty Mississippi.
We arrived there before they were scheduled to open, and I figured the doors would not open till the prescribed time. The gals that run the place were busy placing some items outside and as soon as that was done they invited us and the others who were on hand to go on in, maybe 15 - 20 minutes early. Both buildings were spotless inside and the grounds were well maintained. I was amazed at how spotless all of the displayed items were and commented to one of the gals about it, she said they are constantly rearranging displays and performing housekeeping duties.
I was also surprised to see some items priced very reasonably, $ 20.00 and under. Of course there are high priced items as well, but we were able to pick up some items for friends and the grandkids without busting the bank. The American Pickers coin banks made great gifts for the grandkids, but those boys also expect me to help them fill them !!!  Mike Wolfe wrote a nice children's book titled "Kid Pickers, how to turn junk into treasure." I was impressed to see the attention paid to the youngsters with the book and the coin banks.
If you are crossing the Mississippi River on interstate 80, jump off at the LeClaire exit and spend an hour or so at the American Pickers headquarters. If you do, I hope you find it as entertaining, interesting and educational as we did. If they are filming, the original building may be closed to visitors.
https://antiquearchaeology.com/pages/locations

Kip Kern

Been there several times while delivering bikes to Tom Reese at the Moto Armory.  A great museum and about Fifteen minutes from the Pickers place

61rover

John Crouse
74.5 Jackpiner 175