125 Six Days Pipe refurbish / repair

Started by OhioTurvy, August 08, 2024, 10:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTurvy

New to the POG - had my bike 10 years and finally getting around to putting it all back together.

I'm Looking for advice / tips / tricks on refurbishing the existing exhaust on my 1975 125 six days.

The exhaust is in decent shape with a couple of sizeable dents and a spot where a small crack opened up.

I'm well versed in cleaning / scraping / sanding and can prep it all to be ready to re-paint but just wanting to hear from some experts on how to best proceed. 

I plan on riding this bike so I don't need concourse restoration here but I do want it to look and perform well. 

I may go the route of having the pipe powder coated but want to hear thoughts on that

Thanks for any and all advice

OhioTurvy

Rob Thatcher

If you're going to be riding it, I would just have it repaired as needed, clean and paint.  All of the defects are where they can't be seen for the most part.  Just my thoughts, and what I would do.

OhioTurvy

I'll be riding it but I also need to get the exhaust packing out so that I can install new.  I removed the end cap and there doesn't appear to be any exhaust packing in the straight section of pipe but there is exhaust packing after after the first bend starting from the end of the pipe.  The pipe is welded a bit in front of that last end section. 

Do I need to cut the pipe at that weld in order to remove the old exhaust packing? It doesn't look like there is any other option or way of removing and installing new packing.  I'll include a picture here to show visually what I'm talking about.

Rob Thatcher

That's an interesting development.  There is someone making that entire section of pipe, I see it on eBay all the time.  If you can weld or have someone who can, that's an option. Or sourcing another pipe.  Lots of Pentons in Cali.  Clogged up pipes are not uncommon, ask me how I know. 

OhioTurvy

Rob,

Thanks for the info.  I have a buddy who is good with tig welding so we are going to take a look at it this week and if possible save the pieces we have but, at a certain point that may not make too much sense.  I've seen the pieces of pipe available on Ebay so that may be the route to go ultimately.  Will see. 

Larry Decker