Penton 100

Started by RIck, December 09, 2002, 03:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIck

I have a penton 100 (74-75 I think) I bought new. It ran well and was in decent shape when I parked it 20 years ago. I had thought I might get it running and let my kids learn to ride it. Will it be hard to find parts for this thing? I know it may depend on whats needed so I guess I am looking for a ballpark guess on the parts availability. This site is great, I didn't realize so many Penton people still existed. Thanks Rick

Rocket

Here is a list of the parts people on this site, they should be able to help you:
Alan Buehner
5818 Detroit Ave
Cleveland, Ohio 44102
Phone: 216-651-6559
Fax: 216-651-1620

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barry Higgins
H&H KTM
8820 Bright Star Road
Douglasville, Georgia 30134
Phone:770-920-1371
Fax: 770-920-9198
Order Vintage Penton parts at H&H Online store.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vintage Iron
22605 LaPalma Ave. #519
Yorba Linda, Ca. 92887
Phone: 800-422- 4766
Fax: 714-694-1566

Larry Perkins
   The Penton Man
   1745 E. Atlantic Suite G
   Springfield, MO 65803
Phone-(417)865-8884
(Central Time Zone)
e-mail-
[email protected] or [email protected]

Fischer Competition Cycle
New O.E.M. Parts for
PENTON-HERCULES-HUSKY-HODAKA-C.Z.-CAN-AM
744 Pittsburgh Road
Butler, PA 16001
(724) 586-7383
(412) 781-6309

Rocket

Dwight Rudder

Rick, teaching your kids to ride on a antique motorcycle isn't an option. They are harder to ride, shift and maintain than a modern bike. Parts are expensive and hard to find. If you want to restore the bike for yourself to ride and show that is great but to destroy a hard to find vintage machine by letting kids play with it is sad. You would be much better off getting them a 5 year old machine to learn on. Maybe when they get older they can appreciate the Penton and what its part in dirt bike history was. The gearbox on Sachs engines is a bit fragile for a ham footed beginner. I can also see kids trying to be Ricky Carmichael and jumping the Penton till it breaks in half.
Please reconsider and fix it up for yourself.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

RIck

Rocket- Thanks for the input

Dwight- Vintage, I liked the sound of that thought. I remember it as a poor shifter and somewhat underpowered but stable and true. I had hoped to let them learn to ride it not learn to ride on it but your advice is well spoken. I guess anything could happen but I'm afraid as for now I'm probably to overprotective (of the kids) to let them destroy it.I just thought it would be neat to let them see what I had to race on back in my glory days. I confess I've shifted focus to triathlons and I am way out of touch for what the last 20 or so years have done for motorcycles but I assume the improvements are awesome( had to beat the suspension travel of my days).

Rick
(-was always trying to stay under my hour)
(- eating a lot of mud)