restoration: do's and don'ts

Started by BITD702, December 24, 2002, 09:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BITD702

OK here goes, I have a 1976 mx400 and need a lot of parts/information/pictures/etc.The bike is a pile of crap, and I look forward to restoring it from frame up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I prefer to restore it to showroom cond. and not race or ride it. Thanks for your help!

frank the welder

BITD, you and I are in the same boat my friend. My 77GS6 is completely shot. There has been very few parts that have not needed either replacing or rebuilding. The guys here in POG have been very helpfull and forthcoming with good information. A couple of the guys manufacture repro parts or have a large inventory of used parts and others are very knowledgable with finishing or fabrication. Once you get to work on the bike you may wish to ride/race, much of the beauty of the design is it's function.

BITD702

well Frank we'll see about that when the time comes. But it seems like a long way from here. Thanks for the reply though.

tmc3c

BITD, I too am in the same boat,I am restoring a 76 250GS.I have sent my rear shocks which are marzocchi piggybacks to Bobby Lucas in Texas and plan to send my KTM motor to him also.You will find that the POG guys know there stuff because they have been down the same road we are on now.I will race and ride mine and I am trying to do it right and taking no shortcuts.Powder coating frame,exhaust and replacing anything that needs replacing.One problem that has come up is the fiberglass tank that came on my bike, due to the unleaded gas now eats the tank up.I want to stay close to what it looked like when it came off the showroom floor but if I do this I will have to drain the fuel after I ride it,I could go plastic but I don't know if that would look right.Oh well things like this will arise and the guys in POG will tell you what worked for them.Good Luck and stay at it,it will all come together.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tomale

What is this about unleaded gas eating fiberglass tanks..... I do drain my tank after each time a ride but is there a fix for this? I have never heard of such a thing.

Thom Green,I bought and raced my 76 250 MC5 in 76'and 77' but I am just now getting back into riding again.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W