Seat Text?

Started by tlanders, December 30, 2002, 01:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

My '74 Pentons all have PENTON with KTM written under it on the back of the seat. I want to restore my original '71 steel tank Six Day. I recovered the seat a few years back with a yukki (sp?) material. I want to recover it again with the right material and would like to know if it had PENTON and KTM on the back or just PENTON or nothing? Anybody know? Now is the time for a good 1971 magasine article featuring my bike!!

Teddy

Rocket

Ted
I have a 70 Bershire that is original and it has just KTM on the back of the seat.
Rocket

tlanders

I didn't expect that!!! Thanks for the answer. I don't know if I want to not put Penton back there!!!

Kip Kern

Ted
I have seen early original seats 4 ways.  One is with "Penton", One is with "KTM/Penton", and one "KTM", with the last variation being "blank".  Take your choice as all are correct!  That's the cool thing about restoring Pentons, anything goes as whatever was available on the assembly line at that time was installed!  And yes, there was a "ribbed" seat material on some early Steel Tanked Pentons as well as smooth material!

tlanders

Thanks Rod and Kip. I will go with Penton as desired!!!! My goal is to have it ready for Dalton next fall, however, I love my Piner soooooo much that I can't decide which bike to ride!!!

Teddy

rob w

Teddy,

If it will help you decide, you know the bikes at Dalton will have to be "street legal". So maybe the one you have a title for will be easier to do that with.

My 70's seat originally had just "KTM" on it. Now the second seat cover has no markings.

Wondering, if ya' all know? I have two ignitions for my 70, will it perform much better with the Moto-plat over the points ignition?
 Thanks, !!!!Happy New Year!!!! Bob.

OUCWBOY

Teddy,
My original 1969 Steel Tanker only had Penton written across the back of the seat.

Donny

Edited by - oucwboy on 01/02/2003  03:16:08 AM
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tlanders

Two votes for Penton on the seat, that does it, gotta be Penton!!! Both the steel tank and the Piner are street legal, brake lights, head light,etc. if you don't look too close at the tires, not DOT approved!!! But our local bike inspector conveniently gets vision impaired when he looks at the tires!!!

Teddy

Randy Kirkbride

Teddy,
Does anyone make stencils for this? My 75 Six Days had KTM/Penton on the original cover. I'd be interested in how to do this.
Thanks,
Randy

tlanders

Randy,

I took a seat to "High Tech Printing",
(417) 255-1888, in West Plains, MO and he scanned the Penton/KTM logo into his computer. Whenever I need a seat cover, I get West Plains Upholstery, 417-256-6280, to make it and High Tech to print it. $35 for cover, $15 for printing.

Teddy

CWilson

Interesting differences as to what was stenciled on the seat covers.  My 1975 Six Days seat cover (original) has KTM on it.

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson

Randy Kirkbride

Teddy,
Thanks for the info. My seat is already recovered. I had a local friend make the cover & install it. He did an excellent job but it has no printing. Looks original except for that.  Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Randy

Kip Kern

Randy

I wait until the seat is totally finished before I decal it.  That way, the printing is perfectly straight.  Get a stencil for your seats and Eastwood Company sells paints to do the lettering.  They will turn out perfect if applied properly!

Rocket

Ted
I have a 70 Bershire that is original and it has just KTM on the back of the seat.
Rocket

tlanders

I didn't expect that!!! Thanks for the answer. I don't know if I want to not put Penton back there!!!