I want to be STREET LEGAL

Started by Monty, January 13, 2003, 02:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monty

Gentlemen, I was told that my MC400 can be as fast as any stock 500 4stroke, and the comment was "Two stroke...Smoke 'em if you got 'em". Anyway, I want to make my 78 MC400 street legal, and need some help from some experienced minds in doing so. I know what is needed as far as lighting etc... but what I don't know is what's needed in order to get a good, tight street ride. Any and all suggestions please! Poor them on!

Jeff D

Monty,
First step is to check with your state Dept of Motor Vehicles.  "Street legal" requirements vary somewhat from state to state, but most will require working head (hi & lo-beam) headlight, tail light, brake light (some require activation with front brake lever, too...we used to just discretely step on the rear brake pedal at the same time!), one or two mirrors, horn of some sort (state regs usually specify how loud it must be).
I am about to try to register a 1971 Honda SL-125 and don't have a title for it.  I haven't called my local DMV yet to see what kind of troubles that is going to cause.  There are title services available on line but I haven't gone that route just yet.
Oh, one more thing...make sure the silencer works.  Less sound still equals more ground!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Rocket

Don't forget about DOT approved tires for highway use, if they really get picky.
Rocket

Don Roth

Monty..
Check //www.its-titles.com, they run a bill of sale through a Maine resident and viola, a good plate and all paperwork needed to transfer to your state. I have used twice, price was in the $100.00 range. There are similar services available. You will need
a notorized Bill of Sale and proof of insurance for your bike.

Edited by - Don Roth on 01/16/2003  08:42:12 AM

rob w

Hello Monty,
 One of the more important differences that street bikes have over a dirt bikes on the street is the trueness and balance of the wheels. Wheels that seem true enough for the dirt, feel wacky at speed on the smooth surface. When I have ridden mx bikes on the street, (Husky CR125, Husky CR390, Kaw. KX500, Yam. TT500, YZ250F)  you get up some speed and they tend to start shaking. I think that it mostly had to do with the wheels being out-of-round, not true side to side, and unbalanced. I also don't think they make knobbies as true as dual-purpose tires. I once bought some Metzeler dual-purpose tires for DTX flat tracking, those will give you a little smoother ride.
 Also, cut your handlebars narrower so you have a little less wind from your arms sticking way out there. Having bars that are more swept back is also more comfortable.
 Secure your front fender in a way that it is'nt flapping around too bad, you can also cut 6" off the front so it does'nt catch as much wind.
 Lastly, gear high so you don't have to run at higher rpm's so much, and vary the rpm of the engine when you ride. They were'nt really made to run at high rpm for any extended length of time.
 Hope that can shed a little light on the topic. Post some more cool video graphics.

Tom Gougeon

I guarantee you WILL turns heads!

Monty

Rob- I guess your reply was so good that it just hads to post twice! Thanks for the light, it does brighten a vision. I realy would like to get this bike looking similar to that of a Duke II. I think it would be great to ride out to a camp site for the weekend and enjoy the twisties! And originally I believe that it was set up for dual sport utility, but has since been stripped.

Rob- funny you remember all those graphics, I nearly forgott about them. see bellow for a new one!

Tom- I was told that not only will I turn heads (if I get the work done the way I want to) but I might give people whiplash!

Keeep the posts comming, I need ideas! Parts, accesories, performance enhancers (bike stearoids!)

Big Mac

Monty - Regarding Rob's note about varying RPMs at high speed and trying to keep from blowing up at street speed... From a 1973 Dirt Bike article I have where Super Hunky was riding the Little Burr Enduro on a Jackpiner borrowed from John Penton hisself, chasing after Dane Liembach...John's practical advice to keep her alive at high revs on the paved sections--crank the choke back until she just starts to gurgle a bit to make sure it's plenty rich and let her rip... Makes good sense to me. Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tomale

If you are going to ride alot on pavement would it not be a good idea to use a bigger main jet to keep from leaning out the bike on long stretches? Running a two stoke at a constant speed for long periods of time I have been told is very hard on them. As I remember the street bikes most of them had oil injectors. I think that the heart of the problem is lubrication. Be careful monty Make sure you have got it right.

Thom Green,I bought and raced my 76 250 MC5 in 76'and 77' but I am just now getting back into riding again.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W