Marzocchi Shock Rebuild

Started by TomG, January 14, 2003, 06:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomG

I'm rebuilding a pair of Marzocchi shocks off a '76 250.  Two questions, what weight and type of oil is recommended and what type of tool is needed to get the end cap off the air bladder reservoir.  It looks like two holes in the top of the cap that some special wrench/tool fits into.  These have never been apart so they are TIGHT!

Tom Gougeon

You'll need a "face spanner" wrench to remove the caps. You can buy these at a distributor for machine shop tools. The one I have is made by Williams, model 482. Here in Detroit, we have a chain of tool distributors called "Production Tool" and another called "Reid", but you can probably find this spanner at any place that sells tools and tooling for machine shops. If you can't find one in your area, drop me a line and I'll get you phone number or website.

DKWRACER

Tom, I have rebuilt 4 sets of mzokes, Jake Fischer at Fischer Comp Cycle has seal kits for 12 mm shafts, you can use two punches with a screw driver to simulate a pin spanner, some heat can also be used, I used standard 5 W Bel-ray fork oil with good results, there are two designations on the resorvior body, a # 2 has less dampening than a #4, Due to the shim washers in the valve stack...
Good luck, Tom...

Thomas Brosius

TomG

Thanks guys.  I have the parts, just don't have the "face spanner".  That's a new one to me.  It will probably take that and some heat to get these things apart judging from how hard it was to get the cap off the main shock body. I'm in Austin, Tx. so I'll look around here first but there's probably not as many resources as in Detroit. The shocks I have are the #2's.

Thanks again.

P.S. Racer, weren't you working on reproducing side panels for a '78 400?  I'm still looking for a pair of those as well as a rear fender for the '78.

DKWRACER

Yes Tom , Do have 78 MC5 Side panels and the rear fender, they are in grey gellcoat only, and will dress up your 78 fit to a king....
Tom...

Thomas Brosius

DKWRACER

More food for thought...you need to fill the shock body with oil..Right..well it is simple, clamp the body in a vice with the res. down, tilt the body away from the res. at 60 degrees, slowly fill the res with oil until it comes out the slotted screw hole (screw removed) may take 5 min etc... then tilt to 90 degrees and re-assemble , this assures no air pockets , leave the bladder and top cap installed etc...
Tom...

Thomas Brosius

chris richardson

Hey, Tom G -

When you get that Penton together, join the TVRC and come ride that thing with us. Since you are in Texas, you have two clubs to ride with, also EVOSports .

Come on out, there are quite a few of us on Pentons!!

"Chilly" Pepper
(sometimes hot, sometimes not)

TomG

Pepper,

That's the plan.  Of course that was the plan about two years ago when I got the 30 year itch on wanting to ride again. I have a '73 250 CZ a '78 400 KTM and the '76 250 Penton in various stages of disassembly/disrepair.  Seems I have a much better ability to take them apart than put them back together.  Also seems to take much more time and money.  But when I do get them back together count me in.

TomG

Tom Gougeon

Go to //www.reidtool.com, select hand tools from the product guide and see pages 2 and 3. Prices range from $8 to $18.
It may be worth your while to get a face spanner if the shocks haven't been taken apart before. The cover is soft and a punch will chew up the holes (and everyone will think you're an amateur). If you work on enough motorcycles, it will come in handy for other things, like bearing retainers.