'75 side cover on ebay.

Started by Mark Annan, January 25, 2003, 04:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Annan

I just saw the NOS sidecover on ebay.  Carl (metalfab) has the high bid, so I say let him have it.  

How many guys would be interested in VERY high quality reproductions of it?  A friend of a friend.......fabricates high quality molded parts.  He has made several sidecovers for Hercules motorcycles.  They look fantastic and are very reasonable priced.  They come with the color molded in for the front side (base color and numberplate) and smooth black/carbon fiber backside.  To make the parts he needs a good (preferably NOS, hint hint) example to start with.  His process of copying the parts does not harm the original.  He could make left and right side panels color matched to the original Penton colors with a yellow (or white) numberplate area.  I know a few other people are making sidecovers, I think these are the best I have seen.  All that needs to be done to them when you get them is drill the mounting holes all the way through (he leaves a dimple in the location of the original holes) and bolt them on.  If we can get a left (airbox) side and a right side cover to him we will be set.

I'll have to double check pricing but I think a set will be less than $100.  Anyone else interested?  If I had some good covers to send him I would have done it already.  

DKWRACER

Nice RH cover on EBAY, looks to be corrrect for early 70's MX and H-scramblers, I have LH panels in fiberglass ready to go!!!!Am also completing 78 MC5 panels, for the favorites of many....Also have sets of side panels for 76/77 with three hole mounting, also have rear fenders for 76/77/78
mounts to the underside of the seat etc....

Thomas Brosius

Mike Lenz

Carl or anyone else. You know what almost every Penton rider would buy... if they could? A magnetic drain plug! Someone make one and help us preserve our engines!!

Russ B

I'm thinking out loud here...Maybe you could epoxy a small magnet into the stock plug?

rob w

"New products" good subject, this has been my brainstorm of late, tell me what you think. This would only be of interest to the racer's with KTM engine's.
The top struts that tie the frame to engine, in the book they're know as the "reinforcing brackets", 72-75 tubular. Later slotted, forged aluminum. (apx. 9 1/2" long)
 Well, they're usually the first thing in your way when you have to get to your carb. On my 400, I can barely remove my pipe without taking the LH side all the way off, and you know how hard it is to get to the lower nut.
 My remedy is to make each part into two pieces. The lower piece is short, apx. 2" long, it remains tight to the lower mounting stud and nut on the engine. The upper section, apx. 8" long is completely removeable, and much easier because the fasteners are more accessible. The two pieces are fastened together by over-lapping them, tapping one, and using 1/4" flat head screws thru the other.
 I think it would be plenty strong, maybe stronger (I know some of you probably don't even tighten the lower nut, or worse yet don't even use the struts), and that with 3 screws, you could remove that strut in a minute.
I think it's worth a try, what do you think?
Bob W

missedshift

I for one would welcome good repro side covers. By the way, I am restoring a 74 250 and will pay dearly for a NOS or VG airbox cover....
Thanks

DKWRACER

Mr. Missedshift, I have quality fiberglass LH covers, and you don't have to pay dearly etc....
send me an email, I can send JPEG..
[email protected]

Thomas Brosius

Mike Lenz

Russ I have thought of that,but... Could also drill the bolt and press one in but Id rather buy one! CARL ARE YOU LISTENING?