Kill button or no Kill button?

Started by desmond197, March 30, 2003, 12:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond197

I am restoring a couple of 6 days and a Monark and I was wondering if I should put Kill buttons on these bikes or not.  Thanks

Doug Wilford

It is your call,  for safety reasons a kill button is the way to go.   To keep things simple and reliable for muddy races,lots of falls, trees, bushes and a lot of other ways to kill the engine when you don't want to, leave it off.   In case of a runaway engine, turn the bike upside down or plug the exhaust, DO NOT PUT IN GEAR!!!!

desmond197

Talking to some of my enduro friends they recomend against them as they seem to cause a lot of problems but I have always had them on my bikes.  I think I will put some on these bikes. Thanks for the input.

hrbay

you may not have the extra hole furnished in the head but a comp/release is an alt to a ki;ll button and the c/r won't short out.

GC

LINDEMAN

There have been problems with kill buttons shorting out causing loss of spark.Usually from wires routed wrong or tie down hooks smashing the wire ect.Ive had the maguras (oem Pentons) short internally.I have been using the honda cr style for many years with no problems,they have a dedicated ground wire unlike the Penton style which depends on the handlebar contact for ground.

Mick Milakovic

I too have been using the Honda-CR style with the remote ground. Many enduros for years with no problems in shorting out or water corrosion.

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

scooterdude

That is the second thing I do before a bike comes in my shop,after the ceremonial wash down. If you've ever had a screaming banshee yz250 get hung up on you you'll never forget it.
Jeff

tomale

Saturday I had a problem, the rear tire slipped off the ramp as I was loading it onto the truck. by the time I got to it it was up side down and running wild. I was sure glad that I had a kill button. I know that there are problems with them but most of that if not all can be solved by simply doing a good job mounting and routing the wire(s).To not use a kill button because of potenial problems is like throwing the baby out with the bath water. Do your self a favor and install a good quality switch.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W