Rim lock question

Started by Steve Minor, May 07, 2003, 10:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I need to replace my original rim lock from my rear wheel. The tire size was 450x18. My Dennis Kirk catalog shows many sizes of rim locks, accordiong to the rim width. My question is: Where on the rim, do I take the measurement?

Thanks
Steve

Steve Minor

Doug Wilford

Steve;   There are only 3 size rim locks, that I know of WM-1,  WM-2,  WM-3   The one is for narrow front rims the 2 is for smaller tire size rims for rear  and the 3 is for the later and larger tire size, the only 2s were used on the early steel rim Pentons  and I am sure it was #3s that were used on the larger (wider) rims.   Measure between the smallest bead area.

Steve Minor

Doug...Thanks for the reply. The catalog I was looking at offers rim locks in sizes 1.60, 1.85, 2.15 and 2.50 so you can see my confusion.....Another question: Do I tighten the rim lock before or after I air up the tire?

Steve Minor

Randy Kirkbride

Steve,  WM-3 is 2.15.  Don't tighten rim lock till after you inflate tire.

Doug Wilford

Steve;   There are only 3 size rim locks, that I know of WM-1,  WM-2,  WM-3   The one is for narrow front rims the 2 is for smaller tire size rims for rear  and the 3 is for the later and larger tire size, the only 2s were used on the early steel rim Pentons  and I am sure it was #3s that were used on the larger (wider) rims.   Measure between the smallest bead area.

Steve Minor

Doug...Thanks for the reply. The catalog I was looking at offers rim locks in sizes 1.60, 1.85, 2.15 and 2.50 so you can see my confusion.....Another question: Do I tighten the rim lock before or after I air up the tire?

Steve Minor

Randy Kirkbride

Steve,  WM-3 is 2.15.  Don't tighten rim lock till after you inflate tire.