Riding your Penton

Started by metalkfab, May 14, 2003, 02:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalkfab

How many POG members ride their Penton's on a regular basis?I've been taking out my 'Piner to the local MX track weekly and was wondering if other POG members ride their bikes on a regular basis.Also,if anybody is going to the 100cc race in Missouri.I can't make it and if somebody want's to borrow mine,it's available.I live in northern Ohio.Penton's need to be well represented(and kick ass on Hodaka's).

Lew Mayer

Not as often as I'd like. What class do you run that Piner in? Don't you have to run in the 250 class? I've been looking for some vintage hare scrambles somewhat close to southern Pa. Been thinking about running my first MX though. A pretty penton is no good if you don't ride it.

Lewis A Mayer
Lew Mayer

john durrill

Guy's,
 Dont take the Hodies too lightly. They were like buying a kit car. You can make one into almost any type of bike, Road racer, Trials , short track, MX , Enduro, trail bike, even a salts flats runner.
 If the guy setting one up knows how to use all the strength's and account for its weaknesses, you end up with a potent weapon at any discipline.
 Even the old iron barrel Rat can be made to fly and stay together for an event.
 The only thing out their with as much info on how to modify for  more power , is a small block Chevy
 chuckle chuckle
John D.

metalkfab

I've only ran my 'Piner at a CRA event and their Vintage class is anything old.Took a third in my first MX in 20 years,even beat a couple of 400 Maico's.In AHRMA, the only class that I would run a 'Piner in is the Cross Country event(0-200cc).As for riding a vintage bike ,it's fun being the only "old" bike at the local track,even if I look and ride like a squid.John,you are right about Hodie's but we can't let them have a field day at the 1st.Annual Strictly Hodaka 100cc race.Therefor I'm willing to loan out my restored '74 Berkshire to anyone willing to take up the challenge.

swamp fox

Karl,
  I have to give you the utmost respect in letting someone take one of your pride and joy to the races. I've seen that POGer's are truly dedicated to their steed.
  I learned 30 yrs ago that if you let anyone else ride your bike, it might not come back in one piece. Maybe that's why I wouldn't let my brother fix mine. He would have always wanted to ride it. He put my first bike underwater in a ditch one afternoon.
  Now that I've found the POG, and all the parts that were lacking, I can put it back into tip top shape.
  You do the Penton name a great service!

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

swamp fox

Oh,
By the way. That first bike wasn't my Berkshire. Just an old Sl 175 Honda.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

FMF MX

I race AHRMA N/W region on mine, won title last yr, and first 3 events this yr, classic 125 int. Its too pretty to crash, so I don't! It runs & shifts perfect!

Bart Carrigan
Bart Carrigan

tomale

I just recently started riding again after a 25 year sabbatical. Just for giggles I took it out to the vintage races in April. The first race, I got to the track later than I planned and missed practice. Then to my dismay my moto was up before I could get ready and I missed the start. There was a total of 5 riders in my class. I managed to get by one rider before the end of the race. I think that he was having engine problems. The second moto, I made it to the line on time but was not use to the new style of starting gates. Still I managed to win the moto. overall I finished 2nd for the day. It had rained most of the day and the stratagy was to stay out of trouble. It worked.  The last race a couple of weeks later, I did better and won both moto's for my class. I even beat the guy that won the series on a husky. I am shocked that I did so well or maybe it was the bike. I can not wait to get the bike set up the way I want it.
I can not ride every weekend but the plan is to race as often as I can. The most fun for me is going out with my son who is just learning to ride. He is doing quite well and maybe someday if he wants to, he can race too. I took you guys suggestion and bought him a bike that he could learn on before I spend the money to get him a Penton. I may someday turn my bike into a museum piece but not now, not until I get something else to ride. It is great to ride once more, better yet it is great to ride with my son.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W