Sachs Pentons in 125 Sportsman Class

Started by imported_n/a, June 20, 2003, 12:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

Is anybody out there racing a Sachs Penton in the 125 Sportsman Class?  If so, what have you done to be competitive?

Glenn

DKWRACER

HAH, fix the gearbox, then race against Elsinors???? Stay in the Classic 125's??? No pun or harm intended......Tom

Thomas Brosius

Larry Perkins

I agree!

I could give you a long laundry list of things that boost the Sachs 125 motor for MX.  In the end you can get one as fast as the Elsinore and the YZ but it is quite volitile and even when the tranny is well adjusted and you shift carefully, in the heat of the battle you will miss one or two shifts per moto and the little Japanese bikes will cruise by.  

I spent a decent amount of 1975 banging my head against that wall.  Just think of it as a cheater bike in 125 Classic and have fun with reliability.

John Lambert

I'm thinking we should all give it a go against the Hondas.

Back in the Day, 1974/1975 I lined up against gates full of Elsinores on a 74 Six Days and had great success.  I don't think I ever got passed due to a missed shift but often I'd blow a pass attempt by rushing a shift.  By the end of a moto, the Penton's better handling and wider powerband would usually allow me to make up for any lost time.  Second gear uphill starts were also possible against the Hondas and would usually result in a top three start and holeshots at times.
Also, I ran 5" travel Curnutt's which yeilded   6 inches of wheel travel.  The bike tracked and turned much better set up that way.  Of course, my success was limited to the Novice & Intermediate classes.  But this was in SoCal where full gates, multiple divisions and new bikes were the rule.  I still regret the day I sold that machine but I am now restoring one that should be even better.  This one has a GS Pro D Motor.  I fully intend to run it in 125 Sportsman to try and relive my past successes.

SoCal996

Okay, I'm with John. At my next AHRMA event (the way my life is who knows when that'll be)I'll pay the extra entry and run the Penton against whatever shows up in the 125 Sportsman class, should be fun. Report/results to follow.

imported_n/a

Thanks, all.

The reason I started this thread is that I heard the Classic 125s is a pretty small class here in the Midwest Region.  Since I haven't even raced yet, I wanted some of your thoughts.

Having some guys to be racing against on the track is where it's at.  I can ride by myself other times.  I can go just that little bit faster and learn more of my limits if there's a guy in front of me (especially a Japanese bike).  

Glenn

Larry Perkins

In almost all AHRMA races there are more than one class in the start and on the track at the same time.  There is almost always someone to race with.

FMF MX

Hey All -

I've raced and won the sportsman 125 int class on my Penton a couple of times..The hillier and/or softer the soil, the better your chances..they kill me on hard, flat ground..but if theres hills....

Bart Carrigan
Bart Carrigan

imported_n/a

Thanks, guys.  I haven't raced a 125 since the '80s, and the secret to success, as always, is in our right hands.  My problem has always been keeping it on the pipe and on the track, and I don't want to let my Penton brothers down!

Glenn

tlanders

I had a lot of fun and success racing my Six Day last year in the classic class. It handles so well, it's just a ball to ride. I hate the missed shifts and they DO cost you at the podium, but the bike is still great fun to race. I still don't have it back together again after the rebuild this spring so I don't know how it/I will do in the intermediate class. It seems I am spending all my spare time "tweeking" my Mint 400 and the '78 MC5, the bikes I'm racing this year. I built both of these bikes from scratch and since I am so new to this, it's taking quite a bit of time to get the bugs out. The next build/rebuild ought to go faster (I hope)!!!!

Teddy

imported_n/a

Teddy, the handling my '72 is just great, bringing back such great memories of being 15 again; but now I listen to that little voice in my head that says, "Slow down or die!!"

Glenn

FMF MX

Hey Glenn -

Just remember...ride it like you stole it, and momentum is your friend..no time to brake and accelerate..better to just pin it..you won't believe the smile on your mug! What amazes me is how many fast guys there are over the age of 40..Forrest Waldron - 50 something..Gene Fetty - also 50 something..I feel like the youngster at 44..and these guys ride like theres no tomorrow.

Bart Carrigan
Bart Carrigan

imported_n/a

Bart, yeah, I know I'm supposed to ride it like I stole it, but in reality I ride it like I collected a pile of junk, threw a lot of money at it, engaged the services of the best Sachs man in the business, and carefully assembled the whole mess so that I could add one to the population of an endangered species.  I'll probably need counseling, because I also believe in "Ride 'em, don't hide 'em."  

Glenn

Richard

I've been racing my 125 in the sportsman class for the last two years. When I first joined AHRMA I didn't know that I could ride my 1973 model with the earler bikes, (doesn't seem right to race a six speed bike against 4 speed Montesas).

Anyway, I've had moderate sucess racing in the intermediate class, and a lot of fun. I'm competitive with guys in my skill level no matter what they ride. The guys that beat me do so because they get on the gas earlier and hold it on longer. I belive that the Penton handles better than any other 125. It is strongest at the end of a fast, wooped out stright, due to it's long wheel base and stiff frame. Also, look at the brake hubs of the other 125s. The Penton has the largest brakes of any of the Japanese bikes and although heaver, it stops really well.

Glenn, I think Larry Perkins is right, no matter what class you enter, there is always someone to race with. Just buy a six-pack of shifter keys, learn to adjust the transmission , and keep you brakes clean, and you'll do fine and have a good time.

metalkfab

I agree with Richard.Maintain the shifter.I raced my 125D at Mid-Ohio and had very respectable starts.Raced at various "outlaw" tracks last summer and the vintage class was any size bike and had a great time.The bikes I beat were larger then my 125,but the riders mentioned that they couldn't run the crazy lines that I did which gave me a advantage."All Hail to the Excellent Handling".