Clutch Actuator arm

Started by James, June 22, 2003, 11:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

Bob, I've got an NOS new-style actuator if you want to see it.  I'm saving it for either a 250 or 400, whichever I get going first.  I can bring it to Byron on Saturday.  Let me know.

Glenn

tlanders

I have put the new style actuator on my Mint 400 and the MC5 and it seems to be easier to disengage than the old style. It still isn't a true "1 or 2 finger" clutch actuation effort. It's a hard 2 finger, easy 3 finger which doesn't help much with shifting. Maybe my fingers aren't strong enough? Maybe I should back off on the clutch springs another 1/2 turn?

Teddy

TGTech

I seem to remember having a fixture that we used to re-bore the housing of these actuators, and then we would put a steel sleeve in the the rebore. This meant that the arm would stay tight longer, but if you didn't keep it clean an lubed, it would get tight on you.

I can picture the fixture in my mind, but I don't know if it is still around.

Dane Leimbach
Penton Imports Co., Inc.

john durrill

Dane.
 we were looking at ways to rebuild the old style. did you use an end mill in a fixture? the barrel with the arm would need truing , depending on how bad it is.
 a steel sleeve could be sourced at the hardware store and modified we think. if the housing is worn bad something like JB weld could be used to fill the gaps and hold the sleave in place once the hole is trued up.
 the pins that hold the thing together and are the contact point for the clutch rod look like needle bearings.
John D.

Edited by - john durrill on 06/30/2003  09:57:41 AM

TGTech

John,
Since we had a complete machine shop, I remember using a flycutter in the mill, and then turning sleeves in the lathe. I don't remember the process for cutting the pin hole. I don't remember having to do anything with the cylinder on the arm, but we could have made new ones, as I do remember knocking the pin out of the cylinder and removing the arms.
This was all being done at a time when I moved out of the machine shop and back into the ignition part of the business.
Dane