? removing paint from plastic ?

Started by rob w, June 30, 2003, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Hi all,
 I'm looking for the right product or method that will remove the paint from plastic without harming the plastic.
It looks like it was'nt sanded first, so I'm guessing it's salvagable.
(78 KTM MC5 tank)
Thanks for your help,
Bob

James

Rob I would try to lightly scrape off as much as possible with a PLASTIC putty knife.
This is available at most hdwre stores.
Once you get an edge going- try to peel more and more off.You may want to apply heat with an electric heat gun. Keep 12" from surface and keep it moving. I would not use any chemical strippers or thinners.

When most of the paint is off-use a loose sewn or string buff bad on your bench grinder with plastic buffing compound. Available from Eastwood auto retso supplies or Harbor Freight. I did this on something I don't remember now(a Maico?). The results were great. I have not used PC Plastic renew-so I can't say how that works.

BTW-I thought a 78mc5 was still a fiberglass tank with white gel coat.(showing my ignorance here) If that was the case the methods are different and easier.
 Sorry for the length and good luck, James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

Steve Minor

I've had luck using a pressure washer to remove loose paint.

Edited by - steve minor on 07/01/2003  07:50:39 AM
Steve Minor

rob w

James, Thank you for the good advice and that is the route I will follow if the pressure washer (thank you Steve) does'nt tackle the job.

You're right about 78's being fibreglass tanks, I looked at the "KTM 70 years" link and it shows that to be true, then the 79's became plastic. This bike has the first number in the frame to be an "8", and the first number on the engine is a "7". I'll have to look at everything closer to determine what it is.

About the parts in the kitchen. Good thing you're not married to my wife, she does'nt even want them in the garage. I have 13 motorcycles in my two car garage at home, as I was cleaning my newly acquired bikes last night, getting ready for Mid-Ohio, she looked at me, then looked around the garage, quietly she turned away, shaking her head and mumbling something about that I have a problem. I don't understand that, does anyone know what she means?

AndyL

Rob,
Back in the 'day', I used common brake fluid to strip the paint off of the plastic car model bodys.

It didnt seem to hurt the plastic, but the paint would slide off in sheets after only a couple minutes.  After some clean up, and dry time, the bodys would accept paint again.

Just a thought...

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

James

Garage? Since I moved to Tucson...no garage.
Big house-huge kitchen but no garage. Hence the parts locations.

As far as your problem..I think your wife noticed only 13 motorcycles in your two car garage. Obviously she sees you need several more bikes to fill the void.
 Godd luck, James

OUCWBOY

Rob,
Maybe she thinks you need a bigger garage. I have a garage full plus 8 stored inside my enclosed trailer.
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Kip Kern

The brake fluid idea worked for me on plastics, try a test spot on a small area.  Also I have used "plastic" beads/media in my blasting cabinet to take paint off of some plastics/rubber.  You have to love the folks who "spray bomb" the nice tanks/airboxes with black or silver paint, God bless em !!!!

tomale

Rob,
Consider yourself lucky that your wife allows you to have so many bikes. I will have to play it cool just to get that second bike I want. Getting a second bike for by son is no prob. He just out grew the bike. I grew too but not in the same way. This getting older stuff is a pain.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

James

Method for fiberglass tank paint removal.
First it let your sister ride your vintage Penton up the road after you bring to your Parents house to show them(anyone else you would be embarrsed around will work too).
Let her load the bike up really bad.

Second forget about the drain plug in the center of the cases. You are way too smart for that. Remove spark plug from cylinder-and this is important-put it back in the wire.

Next roll the bike around in second or third gear to "clean it out" Do not give up until your motoplat throws a nice fat spark into the escaping gas form the spark plug hole. You should have a nice fire going now.

This is not only enough to remove the paint from the tank but also the gel coat. (who needs it -if you have fiberglass show it!)

Make sure you have an ABC or halon extinguisher handy as water will not make nearly a large enough mess.
 Worked for me LOL
James

tim bowers

Rob, I believe I have a brand new 78
tank in my Stash.The water decals are lifting a bit but it is brand new from
a KTM dealer that used to be here in town.
Tim

dirtbike

I don't know if you have that brand over there but do you recognize a WD40 like product named 5-56. It's a red spray can. The brand is named CRC and they have a line of products such as. Zink paint, belt grip, oils and stripper. This stripper cleans metal, removing just about everything from carbon, gaskets and paint. Just got rid of some paint at my maico tank (plastic) using it. Very effective.

MLewand

Rob,
This may sound crazy, but you could use brake fluid to remove paint from plastic. When I was younger this used to be a model car builders trick to remove paint from plastic car bodies so they could be repainted. Its kind of a slow process but will not harm the plastic. Put it on heavy and let it soak in.

Mike L.
Mike L.

dirtbike

No MLewand. It doesn't sound crazy at all. I use brake fluid to remove paint quite often. It needs to lay in the fluid over night though. Very effective.