Penton Trials ID

Started by aartowing, March 02, 2001, 11:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddracing

Paul, Heres a new number for your Wassel/Penton book, I had my Pentons at Mid-Ohio last sumner, along with my 125 Six-day (007) and 100 Berkshire, I had my 125 Penton Trials. Mine is all original, just like new. Mine has the 125/5A motor and frame # 735ST and is titled 1976. I sold a few of the old Woodsmans and I don't think there were two alike in the lot. One thing they did have were them big O 350/21 Red Dot front tires. Hi-point must have had a bunch of these  tires to get rid of at the time. My Penton came with one along with a big O 400/18 on the back. I've replaced them with triles tires.  Later Dave

Paul Danik

Walt, the original Wassel fenders were metal.     We now have Wassel serial numbers from W 220ST - W 735ST, a range of 515, does that mean that 515 were imported??? I sure don't know. Now that Barry's page is back up and running be sure and check out the Wassel info contained there.  Also check out the photo section of this site for two interesting Wassel machines. Thanks for the info and keep it coming. Paul

buckfontain

From the information in Don Morleys Classic Two Stroke British Trials Bikes there werr 1000 Wassel Trials bikes made as well as 1000 MX bike that were sold here in the USA under the Tyran name. 90% of the bikes came here to the USA. The frames were designed by Jim Lee of Dalesman fame. They were soon unprofitable due to the currency fluctuations of the 70's as Sachs engines became too expensive because of the rising german currancy. The Wassels in my view are the best looking trials bikes eve built. I have one of the Tyran MX bikes and a Dalesman Scout Enduro bike and would love to have one of the trials bikes. I friend of mine has some nice ones and exhibited them at the Baltimore motorcycle show. Looking for a good Tyran/ Wassel tank if any one has one . Thanks

OUCWBOY

Hi all!
I have a 1977 Woodsman in enduro form, except for the Wassel seat!?  My numbers are W457ST with a 125A5 engine. It have the round Siver Vase Team Decal on the side. Looks as someone replace the enduro seat with a Wassel seat, because it has small rub marks that looks as if it were made by a seat.
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Kip Kern

Mine is #W624, Mud Lark, 125cc 5A Aluminum Cylinder. Just to add to the confusion!  I have a friend who has a 125cc "Cafe Motocross" w/ Red Dots, Headlight/taillight speedometer. Sounds like the invention of the 1st Dual Sport machine to me?

Scratcher

Guys, didn't think I'd been away from this site for so long..... great thread going here, very informative, so thanks for that.

I live in England, I have a 1976 Wassell trials 125 (sold as the Antelope over here), it's got ally head and barrel, I'll dig out the frame no for your records.

Tim Wassell is still alive, runs an engineering company in the Midlands here and I spoke to him a year or so back for some background info etc, tho I don't have his contact details to hand. His family originally ran Wassell's wholesalers, one of the biggest in the country, but when the father died the brothers couldn't keep it successful between them and wound it up (mid-80s?).

He said he made about 2000 MX and trials bikes in all and that 80% went to the States (tallies with the Don Morley details). They sold all the spares to a bike shop in Birmingham (UK), and I've spent best part of the last year trying to get them to sell some parts to me!!!! How the hell did we ever have an empire???

They did manage to post me an original Wassell trials brochure which I'll scan and post here for you, if interested. Can also post a pic of my bike, though it's only part-restored at the moment.

The original trials model had ally mudguards, an option was a high or low-mounted front guard (wow - those guys knew how to spoil you!). Shocks were by Girling, they folded in the '80s too but sold all the tooling etc to Hagon, who made a set to match the originals on my bike - seem pretty good too.

I was renting a garage a few years back and a guy who lived next door saw the bike one day, asked me what it was, then went indoors and brought out the workshop manual and years' worth of receipts - he'd owned it for a few years, didn't think the guy he sold it to would look after it so didn't pass the stuff on.

Sorry about such a long post - hopefully some of it's of interest. If you want more details of suppliers, please ask.

Cheers,
Adam
Cheers,
Adam

Scratcher

Guys, didn't think I'd been away from this site for so long..... great thread going here, very informative, so thanks for that.

I live in England, I have a 1976 Wassell trials 125 (sold as the Antelope over here), it's got ally head and barrel, I'll dig out the frame no for your records.

Tim Wassell is still alive, runs an engineering company in the Midlands here and I spoke to him a year or so back for some background info etc, tho I don't have his contact details to hand. His family originally ran Wassell's wholesalers, one of the biggest in the country, but when the father died the brothers couldn't keep it successful between them and wound it up (mid-80s?).

He said he made about 2000 MX and trials bikes in all and that 80% went to the States (tallies with the Don Morley details). They sold all the spares to a bike shop in Birmingham (UK), and I've spent best part of the last year trying to get them to sell some parts to me!!!! How the hell did we ever have an empire???

They did manage to post me an original Wassell trials brochure which I'll scan and post here for you, if interested. Can also post a pic of my bike, though it's only part-restored at the moment.

The original trials model had ally mudguards, an option was a high or low-mounted front guard (wow - those guys knew how to spoil you!). Shocks were by Girling, they folded in the '80s too but sold all the tooling etc to Hagon, who made a set to match the originals on my bike - seem pretty good too.

I was renting a garage a few years back and a guy who lived next door saw the bike one day, asked me what it was, then went indoors and brought out the workshop manual and years' worth of receipts - he'd owned it for a few years, didn't think the guy he sold it to would look after it so didn't pass the stuff on.

Sorry about such a long post - hopefully some of it's of interest. If you want more details of suppliers, please ask.

Cheers,
Adam
Cheers,
Adam

Scratcher

Hi..... frame no. of mine is W941ST, engine no. 7176916, registered on 25 Sept 75... hope this helps.

Cheers,
Adam
Cheers,
Adam