Stupid Newby Questions

Started by newby, July 31, 2003, 10:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newby

New to this board with a '74 Jackpiner.

Can someone tell me what fluids and capacities should be used, as well as what fuel/oil ratio?

Heading up North tomorrow and want to get her ready tonight.  Thanks...

Edited by - newby on 07/31/2003  2:50:55 PM

newby

In case you were thinking "Newby, RTFM"....

The manual says 1400cc of ATF in the transmission or 2 quarts hi-point gear lube (no weight specified).  Not sure when I should use which since 2 quarts does not equal 1400cc.

Manual also says 185cc hi-point silicone fluid in each fork leg (again no weight).  Not sure if hi-point is a brand, and have no idea what weight to use.

Finally, the manual says "The proper fuel is a 95 octane, 100% leaded gas mixed with hi-point 2-cycle oil at a 20 to 1 ratio or 40 to 1 with hi-point concentrate."  Huh?  Lead, like the stuff that used to be in paint?! j/k

I couldn't even find how much air to put in the tires.

Sorry for the long post, - Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by - newby on 07/31/2003  12:45:07 PM

john durrill

newby,
 you can use ATF for the tranny and the forks. it depends on your weight and how you ride. 10 wt will work better . atf is about 20 weight.
 a good tranny oil from any of the major manufactures for wet clutch bikes would work. their are two style wet side cases. one is straight and the other is smaller and has a round section that fits around the clutch sticking out.
 old style clutch cover 1.4 liters or 1.5 qts. , new ( smaller style) 1.2 liters or 1.3 qts. the books says they will work with this much but  recommends 2 QTS.
 The fuel oil ratio will depend on which oil you can get. Hi point was made by Golden Spectro. they still make the premix oil and 40 or 50 to 1 will work good in the 250.
 20 to one is for oils like suzuki sell's and state that a 20 to 1 is the best mix with it.
 we have had no trouble running the 93 oct pump gas in our bikes but it would depend on where you live.  in different areas of the country the new fuels have some addatives like alcohol that can give you problems.
 tire pressure depends on you, the tire size and what kind of rideing your doing. 15 lbs will protect the rims and tubes and give you fair traction. in soft sand with no roots and rocks you might want 10 and 8 rear/front.
 hope this helped.
John D.

newby

Wow,
John you're a wealth of information! FYI I'm in Michigan where they have alcohol in the gas at about half the places, but I avoid it when I can.  Last I heard, it rotted rubber lines.  But, it is 175 Jackpiner, not 250. So, will 40 or 50 to 1 still be okay?

I'm SO glad I mentioned tire pressure.  I would have put twice the pressure you mentioned, had I not heard from you.  I'm 190, the trails are sandy, and I don't push hard.  So, I guess I'll stick to 15 psi.

Also, I'll try to get 10wt ATF for the forks.

Thanks for the help!

Steve Minor

Newby....excuse me for butting in but I believe John meant use 10wt fork oil....and said that ATF was about 20wt for  comparision.

Good to have you and happy trails
Steve

Edited by - steve minor on 07/31/2003  3:23:04 PM
Steve Minor

newby

Not at all Steve, - I appreciate the clarification.  More than that I am glad I will save face at the checkout counter when I would have asked for 10wt ATF!

Mark Annan

For the transmission the ATF should be fine.  Or you can use transmission oil made specifically for motorcycles.  Use the 75wt to 85wt stuff it is about the viscosity of 30wt motoroil.  DO not use 85wt automotive gear oil it is too thick and doesn't have the best additives for use with motorcycle clutches.  Do not use standard automotive engine oil in the transmission, the additives currently in many oils can cause clutch problems (slipping).  It is best to use oil intended for motorcycles.  They are formulated to work best.  If the bike has been sitting for a while put fresh lube in, ride it around for a while to warm it up and then drain the fluids immediately.  It will help flush out any accumulated junk or water in the transmission

john durrill

which oil will you use?
 Golden Spectro , i would use it at 42 to 1. thats about 1  of the containers to 4 gallons. just because its easier to mix like that chuckle chuckle.
 it depends on which oil you can find locally for this weekend. maxmi makes some good premix oils. ask Dwight Rudder. he knows a lot more than i do about oils.
John D.

newby

Thanks, Mark.

I'm a sponge at this point, so, the more input the better!

newby

Thanks also to you John.

I used to use 20W50 Golden Spectro in my Harley.  It was a synthetic blend.  Is the premix oil you speak of synth as well?

Opinions vary on synthetics, what's yours?

john durrill

If you can get it i would use the golden spectro . its a synthetic an it works very well in the KTM engine. it for premix and your dealer shold be able to get it for you. or you can find it in the links om POG and order a case like we did.
John D.

Blue_Dog

Or you can send pictures of the bike and what you want for it and you might not  have to worry about all tha other stuff.(he-he)
B_D
Just kidding but I'm looking for the right 175 JPiner

newby

Progress.

Oil change went smooth, put in the whole 2 qts. per suggestion.  (Oil came out VERY clean though)

Got the 10 wt fork oil and will change the fork seals and fluid up north as well as cleaning the air filter (ran out of time).

Reduced tire pressure to 15 psi front and rear.  Adjusted brakes and clutch.

Question:  Other posting have listed NGK B7HS, B8HS, or B9HS spark plugs as recommended for the '74 Jackpiner, so I bought those.  The one I pulled out was a NGK B9EV, it has a thin wire electrode and a much longer reach.  Which one should I use?

Edited by - newby on 08/01/2003  01:58:04 AM

Rocket

The B8HS should be okay to use, don't use the long reach plugs.
Rocket

john durrill

Look and see if there is  a spacer stuck on the head where the sparkplug goes in. the E plug is too long like Rocket said. B8HS should work fine for most types of rideing.
 a B9EV is long enough that it could hit the piston.
 carry a coupla spare plugs and a plug wrench with you on the ride till the bike prove itself.
 You have a great bike, just need a few trips to debug anything left in it from the dread Previous Owner chuckle chuckle!
John & Peter