Stupid Newby Questions

Started by newby, July 31, 2003, 10:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newby

Rocket/John,

Thanks for the info.  Weird that the B9EV ran with no problems.  I'll definitely switch to the B8HS, though.  Piston hitting spark plug bad!  Oh yeah, 0.024 gap right?  Hard to find a gap tool that small!

Any tricks other than what the manual says for replacing the fork seals & setting the timing?

I will be replacing the tires when I get back.  Now they are Metzler (M1?) 4 x 18 in back and 3 x 21 in front.  What replacements do you recommend?

I'm going to have a blast this weekend, - everyone on this board rocks!

Edited by - newby on 08/01/2003  08:59:30 AM

newby

Oh-oh, trouble.

Leaking trans fluid.  Saw it on my way to work this morning.  Seems to be coming from the left side, maybe the kickstart or gear change post, but I'm not sure.  Hope it didn't have anything to do with puting in 2 qts. instead of the 1.4 L.

Other than pulling the side case and replacing the bushings, is there a quick fix that will get me through next week up north?

john durrill

Unless its leaking a lot , you should be ok.
 the kick shaft and starter seals  do leak a bit over time. Just as long as its not running out on the ground. you can get new seals from Al or Larry and replace them after your ride. Just make sure thats where its leaking from . check the case screws and the oil level plug and make sure they are tight. if the oil level plug is leaking  you can lay it over on its side remove it and use some silicon sealer on the crush washer. that should do till you get a new crush washer.
 It would have something to do with the
 2 QTS, chuckle  chuckle but it wont hurt anything as long as its not leaking so fast you could run out of oil in  a days ride.
 John D.

tomale

Newby
I agree with you. I found this site Last November and they helped me so much. Now I am hooked. I rode a 97' 360EXC yesterday and I have got to have one. What a  great woods bike. Well I can dream anyway!
Glad to hear that your bike is shping up nicely. Glad you found us.
Happy trails to you.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

jj

Let's all hope that your cases are good. Black motors can form a crack initiaitng at the kick start stop bolt hole that will
propagate to the kick start shaft hole. When mine did this I initially thought is was the kick shaft seal, but no such luck. Since your is a '74 you may be silver motor which I don't much experience with yet, but it's worth a check. The good news is that it can be repaired.

John J Slivka
John J Slivka

newby

No fluid as we loaded the bikes this morning.  But I got a tube of high temp silicone sealer just in case .

I'm off in 10 minutes.  Keep your fingers crossed and thanks for all the great help.

Yea! I'm on vacation for the first time in a year.