"Spray Bomb"

Started by Jdbglover, August 28, 2003, 11:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdbglover

Does any one know of a good spray paint match for Jackpiner blue and yellow.  I am trying to get the bike's colors down to just two.  The airbox is a red gelcoat and the tank is the watermelon shape with a green gel coat.

Thanks

John

crash carden

Hello John, the best match for the 175 Penton blue I know of in a spray bomb is by Krylon. It is called Krylon short cuts, "Ocean Blue" is the color, part # SCB-006 it comes in small spray can's and small bottles of brush on. I have found these paints at Meijer stores,and Menards. Krylon also has a "Sun Yellow" that is close to the Penton 175 # plate yellow. If you buy one of those "Spray Gun" plastic trigger handles that fits on your spray bomb can, you will be able to do a better job of painting. They work very well for all spray paint can work,and only cost a $1 or so. Hope this helps you out,good luck. Crash Carden GO PENTON!!

Bob

We discussed this awhile back. Someone posted this:

ssfx

USA
12 Posts    Posted - 03/23/2003 :  4:20:45 PM      

"I had my tank scanned, and a color that is very close is a stock DuPont color. It is 1994 Porsche Riviera Blue."

Crash how close is that Krylon you're using ? Might be easier to find than Porsche paint.

Edited by - Bob on 09/01/2003  6:57:29 PM

crash carden

Hello Bob, I would say the Krylon "Ocean Blue" is a very close match to Jackpiner blue its nearly dead on. I had my tank re-gelcoated in the correct Jackpiner Blue, and the Krylon ocean blue is so close of a match that I use the brush on for touch ups. Hope this helps out. Crassh Carden TEAM PENTON!

Jdbglover

Thanks for the information on the spray paint.  I had looked for the Porsche Riveria Blue paint, but was told by one vendor it was not doable as an aerosol spray because the color is a three part system..basecoat, color coat, clear coat.  I then found another vendor who would match the paint and package it in a aerosol can.  But the cost for matching and four cans was over $100.

Eventually, I would like to have all the fiberglass parts re gelcoated, so thats why I am going with the cheap "spray bomb" method.

Thanks

John

Gavin Housh

John, A spray bomb is when my dog gets nailed by our local skunk. Not to worry. I've heard a good vinager douch works well. Good luck. Sorry in advance I could'nt stop myself. Must be the feaver I've had. Been sick the last few days. Gavin

ssfx

The porsche Riviera is available in a single stage format (it does require catalyst) from Dupont. Hope this helps.

James

Having spray bombed my share of parts I can tell you-you can get some decent results with proper prep and care. I also like to use the high temp clears over most areosol colors. Good luck, James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

Lew Mayer

Does anyone know another brand of spray paint for Jackpiners and SixDays. I've looked everywhere in our area and lots of places carry Krylon but nobody carries the "Short Cuts". I'm lookin for "Jackpinerinacan" and "SixDay Spray Paint". Maybe one of you guys has had success with another brand.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Rain Man

I've been a mechanic for the better part of my life, I can make em go, but ... making them look pretty. uh uh.  
   I see an opportunity here $$$ for someone that  can make them look as well as we can make them go.. any takers..  gimme a number, please,
   The junk yard runs and runs pretty darn good, but pretty, uh uh...
 I cant paint,

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Jdbglover

Lew,

I was able to purchase the the "short cuts" paint from the local ACE Hardware store.  The store had to order the paint.  If you want I can get you the Ace stock numbers to order.  The only other issue was I had to order by the case (a case is six cans, each can holds like 5 oz.)

John Glover

classof74

Couple of points to consider...

Having looked at a stack of NOS Ossa Phantom fenders, a bunch of NOS Bultaco fenders, 4-5 NOS Suzuki TM Fenders, a row of NOS Husky frames and brand new out of the box CZ frames, I can say that's there's probably no such thing as the absolute "correct" color (even from the factory), simply because it tended to change from batch to batch. The changes were subtle, and in the absence of anything to compare it to, it's hard to tell what Penton Blue, Husky silver, Phantom blue and Suzuki yellow is exactly. So, if you can find something NOS, color match that, and rest comfortably knowing you have the correct color.

When matching paint, make sure you are looking at the match during the day, outside, late morning to early afternoon. It is at this time the color temperature of light is around 5600 to 6500 degrees Kelvin. Very early in the morning, or later in the afternoon, color temperature is affected by the density of the atmosphere the sunlight is shining through and will throw a redish-orange cast to everything.

Avoid matching paint under Flourscent light. Flourscent light appears around 4200 degrees Kelvin and throws a green cast.

Avoid matching paint under Incandescent light. Incandescent light appears around 2400 degrees Kelvin and throws a warm orange-red cast.

When matching tank paint, look underneath the tank. That will be your best bet in matching the color, since it hasn't been faded by the sun. If you're still unsure, rub a little "Color Back" on the area to remove any dirt, grime or "anything" other than the original paint.

Concerning spray cans.....the majority, if not all do not contain a "hardener". You spray them on and if you do any riding, they don't hold up well. It's not a problem for most, you simply apply more paint. I suggest a good single or two stage paint with hardner.

Mark

Lew Mayer

John, maybe I'll order the case. Six 5oz cans isn't a whole lot of paint anyway. I'll check with an ACE hardware.
Mark,thanks for the help. I'm using spray cans because I bought some fiberglass racer panels, meaning, they're gonna get beat up. I want to spray bomb them because I figure they'll look better than just white and I can easily repaint them.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

cardojr

try wal-mart for krylon
thanks-rob

Lew Mayer

Thanks for the info. I tried them though and they had Krylon just not the "short cuts".

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer